GAMES FOR EGGS and other fun prizes

I just got home about 30 minutes ago. I'm too tired to look at these eggs tonight. Final chick count is 10 - 7 AC and 3 LH.

We'll play leg 3 of the Trifecta - Battle Chick - this Saturday. Evening work best for me, so let's do 8 pm CST again. If there is not a winner. @RavynFallen has agreed to host the next round of 3 games. Thank you Ravyn!

I'm going to set one more batch of eggs. I've got to know if there is a problem with my eggs. This hatch is totally unacceptable and several of you have noted poor hatches. So I've got to run some through the Sportsman and see if the problem persists. BUT . . . I will keep all the chicks from the next hatch. DH said forecast is for milder than normal winter, so what the heck, why not. Wasn't that his way of giving me permission?
sorry about the hatch
hugs.gif

sure sounds like permission!!
celebrate.gif

@cjwaldon
I only got 1 chick from your eggs. But she is beautiful and I am very happy with her! 3 other eggs made it to lockdown, but 2 look to have quit before even pipping, and the other just died in the shell after pipping. But this one is so friendly and snuggles up to me when I let it walk around next to me! Thank you very much!

Aww! Adorable!

I just got home about 30 minutes ago.  I'm too tired to look at these eggs tonight.  Final chick count is 10   - 7 AC and 3 LH. 

We'll play leg 3 of the Trifecta - Battle Chick - this Saturday.  Evening work best for me, so let's do 8 pm CST again.  If there is not a winner. @RavynFallen
 has agreed to host the next round of 3 games.  Thank you Ravyn!

I'm going to set one more batch of eggs.  I've got to know if there is a problem with my eggs.  This hatch is totally unacceptable and several of you have noted poor hatches.  So I've got to run some through the Sportsman and see if the problem persists.  BUT . . . I will keep all the chicks from the next hatch.  DH said forecast is for milder than normal winter, so what the heck, why not.  Wasn't that his way of giving me permission?

Sounds like permission to me!

I bought it for the swap threads, but I don't play on those threads much anymore because the people I've claimed from more often than not don't ship or don't ship what was promised. I once received bantam eggs that registered as L and XL on my egg scale, yet the shipper still insisted they were bantam eggs. Bantam ostriches maybe, but not bantam chickens.
roll.png

Got any pictures of these serama cozies?

@meltel I'll PM you later about the fabric. I have another little piece of red wood planks (barn siding?) that compliments this fabric. I just have to remember where I stashed it.
No pics-they are nothing fancy. Just all her little crippled chicks have this table where they all hang out and sleep and each has their own "cozie" aka chicken blanket that they sleep on. They are very territorial about their cozies and keep them super clean but sometimes the other birds poop on them so she changes them out every week with a new "cozie"
love.gif

No pics-they are nothing fancy. Just all her little crippled chicks have this table where they all hang out and sleep and each has their own "cozie" aka chicken blanket that they sleep on. They are very territorial about their cozies and keep them super clean but sometimes the other birds poop on them so she changes them out every week with a new "cozie"
love.gif
I'll see if I can get a pic of them on them one night. it's so darn cute!!!

Since we're on the subject of hatching..

I have some cemani eggs in the bator too. Due to hatch tomorrow the 11th. I went to move the eggs in the hatcher for lockdown [yesterday was day 19] and noticed I already had an external pip! This is my first time using an auto turner btw. I quickly candled the eggs and sound several were internally pipped. I panicked a little because I originally had plans to lay them on their sides for hatching as their air cells were not wobbly even from shipping. Not knowing what I should do, I transferred them to styro cartons to finnish because I was afraid since so many were pipped internally and one external that if I laid hem on heir sides they might have to adjust and become malpositioned. I did not cut down the egg cartons and I'm second guessing myself again.

The one that pipped last night [I'm not sure exactly when because I haven't even looked inside my bator for a couple of days] pipped well above the air cell. About half an inch above the line [not below]. I'm wondering with it sitting upright in the cartons whether it will exhaust itself trying to reach to zip.

When I woke up this morning I peaked through the sides of the bator with a flashlight and saw no progress with the external pipped one and didn't see Andy other externally pipped. I couldn't see all the eggs but I could clearly see the original pipped made no progress overnight. I won't be home until after work tonight to see what's going on but when I do arrive home it be at least 24 hours since first pip and at least 24 hours since the other internal pips.

What should I do?
Should I lay them down on their sides?
Should I keep them upright?
Should I take the time to put them in cut down cartons?
Thanks guys!

You will probably be fine either way, but if everything is stable and on track, I lay them down.

I only hatch in cut down cartons (paper, not styrofoam) if the air cells are super wonky. I find uncut/tall cartons can interfere with a crooked zip.

Good luck! Fingers crossed.

i agree with friday, check the aircell, and put the lowest point of the ac line up, but i would lay them down

but they may also be fine

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
fl.gif

Hey guys thanks for the input! I've read about piping at the wrong end [never happened to me] but I haven't seen anyone talking about piping so far up into the air cell before. Think that one will be okay? Also, the air cell sizes are drastically different from eachother. Some look just the right size and others look to be at around day 10. I incubated with humidity at 30% using a calibrated hydrometer. Obviously some must've been more porous than others for this to happen. Since some of the cells are much smaller I'm considering leaving them upright. Would hate for anyone to drown.

Back
Top Bottom