GAMES FOR EGGS and other fun prizes

And yours! ;)

I gots a looooong way to go before I get anywhere near either of their levels, lol.. :plbb

Speaking of... @cjwaldon another grandchick!!!

And it won't let me post my pic! :hit

Last edited:
I want some of CJ's bird, but I just have to wait until I can get an Ayam Cemani pen built... which won't happen for a while since I need to build my silkie pen, duck pen and turkey pen before I start asking for another one... LOL

I have 15 pens now, with plans to add 6 more pens next year. I'm trying to not overfill each pen, but you know, chicken math . . .
roll.png
Not all the pens are in use right now. I've been working on fixing up some runs, which is taking much longer than anticipated. My goal is to eventually have covered runs.

I did want to share something about Brinsea octagons, for anyone that doesn't have the humidity pump... Look up "zorb fabric". It's a felt-like fabric that is super absorbent. When draped across the bottom of the incubator, down thru the water wells, and across to the other side, it helps keep the humidity up, without drying out. And it's washable and reusable!

Great idea! I used to run paper towels across the bottom, pushed into the wells. Easy clean up. That's one thing I really loved about the octagon. It was very easy to clean.

And Pyxis' AC's too!

Yes, and Pyxis and Ravyn's!!!

Still hard to see, another two or three days will be obvious. Tonight, it looks like most of the eggs are viable and growing. Two I couldn't even guess, could be clears, two look like they have blood rings. Still early so I'm not pulling anything yet.

Still hard to see, another two or three days will be obvious.  Tonight, it looks like most of the eggs are viable and growing.  Two I couldn't even guess, could be clears, two look like they have blood rings.  Still early so I'm not pulling anything yet. 

:celebrate

:celebrate          :love

More on the way too!! :D

And yep, you got way more pens than me right now, lol... :eek: :th

Shows how much work you put into them... ;)

I have a few things to say about it, but it would probably get me banned from BYC.

CJ, Sorry you got ripped off for the eggs and then had your stock bad-mouthed. It's unacceptable.

It's not that thread, or the predecessor thread.  This time around it's one person.  My post pretty much sums it up.

I saw two posts in that thread, and I don't even read that thread.  There were a few posts in the other thread.  I don't read that thread either.  No posts were directly disparaging.  And then there's all the PMs.  He's seems to be  a very needy person.  I feel like I have a leech draining the blood and energy away from me.  Time to block him.

Sad thing is, I was warned . . . .

Ahhh.... I'm betting (won't even mention his name) is up to his old tricks again

Not all AC pens.  No, I only have one pen dedicated to the AC right now.  Four Leghorn pens, a bachelor pen, three grow out pens, a layer pen, the AC pen, and the rest are empty.

:gig

Ok, I *might* be close then... although, I don't have any empty right now... :oops:

I have a Call duck pen, turkey pen, 3 Ameraucana pens, Araucanas, Silkies, bantam Araucanas, Self Blue OEGB's, Ohiki, AC, a layer pen, 2 grow out pens and multiple broody boxes and brooders...

Aw, crap, that's a lot... :lau

I hope Brinsea helps fix it! Good luck!

Thank you!
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that
sad.png
I hope they can help you get it working right. I know someone who also was having those issues with his Brinsea. He actualy let me borrow it to try it out. I was definitely not a fan. It took numerous sponges to keep the lockdown humidity up
hmm.png

I think I am going to shell out the money to get a really nice hydrometer. In the end I think it will be worth it.
that stinks I'm sorry
hugs.gif
I would deathly try next with some local cheap mutt eggs

Thats my plan, I found some on craigslist really cheap, about 1$ an egg... But I don't really care about fertility, as long as I get a couple fertile ones.
Oh no!!!
hit.gif

I'm not a fan of Brinsea either. They started out great, but as they aged they became less reliable. I sold all my Brinseas. I now have a Sportsman. So far so good, but I suspect the digital control panel will fail. The incubator itself has been awesome. Only had it a year so far so we will see how it fares over time.

Great idea!
clap.gif

I feel like it holds the temp really well, but it takes a little more work for the humidity.
Sounds like a fun game! Hope I can play!
@prizepete -I'm so sorry. I love my hovabator. so easy to use. the humidity kit did fail on me though so they sent me a new one. Its hard to lose such good eggs!!! @cjwaldon did you set those eggs????
pop.gif

Its not your fault, I would love to try again with the ACs again... I can't do it until later on though... we will see...
Prizepete- do you live at a high altitude by chance? Shipped eggs coming from low altitude to high will cause lots of losses during lockdown when the chicks outgrow their oxygen supply.

Sorry for your bad hatches. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

I do not... lower than 1000 feet, I think 300 feet... I am probably wrong, I just know its under 1000
All this talk about incubators made me curious. There's a GQF 1502 that was used four times for sale - best offer. Seller won't give asking price. What would be a "good" offer as a buyer?

@prizepete I am sorry for your recent hatch. I have Brinsea incubators and they seem to work well for me, ECO 20 and mini Advance. I hope you figure out the issue with yours. It's frustrating when they develop but don't hatch. I had that happen to me twice, and in my case, it was because my temperature was a tad too high and humidity too low. I believe the chicks were shrink-wrapped. It was heart-breaking to see fully developed chicks inside. One of those two times, I was dry-incubating (because reading on BYC, some members say that is how they do it and it works for them). However, I realized that if you live in Florida or somewhere ambient humidity is 90%+, dry incubation may work; whereas for me, the dry weather in southern California doesn't support that method. Now that I've got the temperature calibrated just right, it is just set and go. I don't even use a hydrometer to check for humidity during incubation anymore. I just keep one of the water wells in my ECO 20 filled until day 18, and fill both on day 19. We all live in different climate zones, and I think we have to use the method that suits our weather conditions. I wish you better luck with your future hatches.

And yes, my recent AC eggs from CJ hatched on day 20.
thank you!

I did want to share something about Brinsea octagons, for anyone that doesn't have the humidity pump... Look up "zorb fabric". It's a felt-like fabric that is super absorbent. When draped across the bottom of the incubator, down thru the water wells, and across to the other side, it helps keep the humidity up, without drying out. And it's washable and reusable!
I will have to look that up! Sounds interesting!

Thank you everyone! What is everyones favorite hydrometer?

Back
Top Bottom