Gamey EE roo?

The Ameraucanas I had were incredibly scrawny as youngsters, but, did eventually fill out to the size and fullness one would expect from a DP type breed. They were slow growing, but did get large eventually.

I for one like dark meat very much, so for some of us the DP breeds work out fine.

As for slow vs fast growing--fast growing equals more turns per seasom, and more profit per square foot. ( I'm a grower professionally, and the same principles apply) Fast growing also equals lot of inputs. This sysytem works out really well if you are selling plants or selling broilers, the extra turns on space easily cover the extra input costs.

Not everyone wants to raise the cornish x meaties however. The niche of a slow growing breed like Giants, etc, was to be fed primarily on pasture, forage, and maybe some corn the farmer grew. The slow growth enabled them to require far less protein per day-not a bad thing in those days before commercial bagged high protein feeds. That system is not workable commercially today, but, it can be workable for a backyard homesteader.

There is a niche for every breed and system.

Quote:
I raise dual purpose chickens too and cannot complain about the meat ratio whatsoever. These are my leftovers from incubating and I don't mind raising them for I enjoy them quite a bit. To me this is how a normal chicken is supposed to look like. Mine had great breastmeat, I loved it, and oh those wings
droolin.gif
In fact, some of my customers prefer this type chicken to the one in the super market. To the OP, what did you feed your rooster? Also, did you have more roosters around him? Was he maybe stressed out?

He had 3 brothers, but rarely fought. They got along rather well. He was on laying mash along with his hens, plus free ranging so tons of green grass, bugs. Also lots of goodies from the garden and a daily treat of a sprinkling of scratch or cracked corn. I was not displeased with the taste, though he was a bit chewy. I think most of it was the uneasiness of eating one I liked... Something I will soon get over.

Quote:
By what age did you feel they were at their peak fullness in size? I rotisseried him so he may have shrunk on the bone a bit too.. I did like the dark meat, its was just a shock I was not aware of. I know its normal now. Thank evryone

Quote:
I raise dual purpose chickens too and cannot complain about the meat ratio whatsoever. These are my leftovers from incubating and I don't mind raising them for I enjoy them quite a bit. To me this is how a normal chicken is supposed to look like. Mine had great breastmeat, I loved it, and oh those wings
droolin.gif
In fact, some of my customers prefer this type chicken to the one in the super market. To the OP, what did you feed your rooster? Also, did you have more roosters around him? Was he maybe stressed out?

He had 3 brothers, but rarely fought. They got along rather well. He was on laying mash along with his hens, plus free ranging so tons of green grass, bugs. Also lots of goodies from the garden and a daily treat of a sprinkling of scratch or cracked corn. I was not displeased with the taste, though he was a bit chewy. I think most of it was the uneasiness of eating one I liked... Something I will soon get over.

Mhm…maybe it just had to do with the individual bird? Sorry I couldn’t be of any more help. I will say though that my first bird tasted chewy- but only to me because I kept thinking that it was my Mortimer. Everybody else loved it, especially the wings and thighs. I do wish you the best of luck next time though. My DP are barred rocks, delawares, australorps but I did do 3 EE/Australorp crosses last weekend and they all looked great, weighing in at 4lbs at 20 weeks. I am obviously not doing this to get rich, but I was still able to sell the birds for quite a bit of money. I do feed a lot of leftovers, like fries and potatoes. Maybe the fatty foods help?

Quote:

Mhm…maybe it just had to do with the individual bird? Sorry I couldn’t be of any more help. I will say though that my first bird tasted chewy- but only to me because I kept thinking that it was my Mortimer. Everybody else loved it, especially the wings and thighs. I do wish you the best of luck next time though. My DP are barred rocks, delawares, australorps but I did do 3 EE/Australorp crosses last weekend and they all looked great, weighing in at 4lbs at 20 weeks. I am obviously not doing this to get rich, but I was still able to sell the birds for quite a bit of money. I do feed a lot of leftovers, like fries and potatoes. Maybe the fatty foods help?

Its possible. The fattest foods they get is corn and uncooked cubed potatos(starch)

Quote:

Its possible. The fattest foods they get is corn and uncooked cubed potatos(starch)

Eat...more...french...fries
smile.png

When we eat out at friends' restaurants we get the table scraps quite often which makes for inexpensive fatty foods. May not work for everybody but does work for us
droolin.gif

Of all my breeds, you can look at my sig for my list, my EEs are my biggest framed and skinniest chickens. Surprisingly, my other breeds, while smaller looking, have much more meat on their keel and thighs. The buttercups and leghorns seem much meaties, although I haven't ever tried culling any. Even the OEGBs are meaty, with a nice, double breast, although not much bigger than a dove.
The EEs, when I pick them up, I always worry that something is wrong with them because they feel so skinny but I guess that's just them, maybe they will fill out when they start laying. I think everyone is within weeks of laying right now.

Back
Top Bottom