Gander prolapsed something?

Chrifister

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
Hello again.

Our gander is nearly 2 years old and has 2 almost 1 year old geese for girlfriends. One is smaller and he must favor her because she is missing a lot of feathers on her head. The other is a bit larger and he seems to have trouble finishing the deed with her just because of the size difference. She is not missing any feathers on her head?

When he started mating with them earlier this spring I noticed the larger goose would watch and when he finished with the smaller goose she would bite and chew on his member. He of course didn't like that and made noises and tried to get away. I tried to discourage the behaviour when I seen it but I'm not sure it worked. Eventually I just stopped noticing her doing it, though that doesn't mean she actually stopped.

Fast forward to today and we're hatching goose eggs every weekend so fertility is pretty good. I noticed 2 days ago what looked like a dark hard lump of poop on the gander's rear end. Thought nothing of it. Yesterday I seen it again so went to pick it off but it's attached to him. I picked him up to get a good look and before he squirmed away I managed to see kind of a round bulb-like protrusion or prolapse about half the size of a golf ball. It looks dark and poop colored on the outside end but pink and fleshy behind that.

If it's his member, it's significantly swollen. I'm concerned the coloring on the end could be an advanced infection? He's still trying to mate and seems healthy otherwise. I did see him poop liquid stuff, and later in the day when I looked he had green poop on that swollen thing, so he's not blocked. When I get close to him and peek when he's not looking, I can see his rear end flexing in and out constantly. Maybe he's trying to retract it?

The only vet around here that does see backyard poultry is not seeing them at the moment because of bird flu so I'm on my own. Is there anything I can maybe put on the swelling to help? I have some red kote type of anti-something red spray for animals? I'm concerned if I spray something like that on, what if he retracts the thing and it goes inside him? Could it poison him? I've read warm soapy water could be helpful? Should I separate him from the 2 geese?

By antibiotic ointment, I'm assuming you don't mean the red kote stuff? Pretty sure that says external use only.

We have various ointments here but I'm not sure what would be safe for him. Rummaging through the med cupboard and I found Mupirocin topical antibiotic, Fucidin topical antibiotic, Ozonol antibiotic ointment, and Bioderm antibiotic ointment. Are any of these safe for a gander?

Definitly follow @sourland ’s advice. It sounds like it’s infected. It’s probably from wounds inflicted by the other goose but geese are known to suffer prolapses from a species specific mycoplasma, though more likely it is just from injury.

Either way any necrotic tissue may need to be surgically removed if the ointment doesn’t work unfortunatly.

I would get that gander away from those ladies before they rip his willy off. I’ve heard of ducks doing that to geese they’ve been watching mate, but never knew that a goose would abuse a gander that way. I’m flabbergasted 😮

@Quatie always rec hydrocortisone ointment I believe.
Hydrocortisone ointment will help treat the inflammation. You can use it 3-4 times a day to help reduce inflammation. I recommend an ointment over a cream because the cream can rinse off easily. Ointments also help seal in moisture. You can also use bacitracin, aka Neosporin, on the wound as well for the infection.

Sorry for the late reply. Pretty hectic around here during hatching season.

I put him in the building they spent the winter in so he'd be calm in there. We used the Bacitracin ointment. I had to hold him against my chest while my partner did the dirty work. She said it was definitely swollen and black on the end and had some pus in the folds. Washed him with warm soapy water and liberally applied the ointment.

He tolerated most of it except for twice he didn't. I was holding his back against my chest and he decided to bite my forearm and boy did that hurt. Had a sweater and light coat on and he still left me with ridiculously large bruises on my arm.

We repeated the treatment a few days later and there was much improvement. Then again a few days after that we noticed his penis was back inside him. It came out when I was holding him and my partner said the black was gone and it was a pinkish color and no longer swollen. She thinks he lost some off the end. She put more ointment on and we kept him in there for another few days.

He resumed mating shortly after putting him back with the others. It looks like he's successfully mating but it doesn't look as long when he gets off and it's hanging down. I waited a week before resuming collecting eggs for hatching. This weekend we'll candle them and see if he's actually fertilizing any.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom