Gang Breeding

I would just leave one roo with the hens(generally the top roo)and put the others in a separate pen. Sure the one rooster will chase the hens but thats normal. Add another roo after a certain period of time(month or two)and repeat this depending on the amount of roos you have. The one who was with the hens the longest will defend the hens from the other roos. Works for me

I sort of have the same situation with my silkies. I have my one roo that is 6 months old, one of my pullets is 6.5 months old and not laying yet. My other pullets are 4-5 months old. Just the last week my roo has been relentless with the oldest pullet chasing her down, I have not noticed that he is mounting her but rather once he catches her he stands over her (not on her) and as long as she stays there he doesn't mess with her but if she tries to walk away the whole thing starts again. My other roo really doesn't pay attention to anything but food but he is only about 5 months old.
My question is can I separate the 2 roos then when all the pullets are older can I add the roos back or will they mostly not be accepted by the hens as my separation area is not in view of each other. My intent was to breed silkies but it defeats the purpose if they can not live together. I am not sure about other breeds of chickens but I have heard silkies will calm down and get hormones under control after the teen years. Anyone with experience with this?

Roosters are innately wanting the progression of their genetics. You will have roosters that submit and allow a lead to take over. But when he is not watching you will have 'sneaking ' and stalking and waiting for their time. Which will in essence bring about over treading on hen's backs and not so attractive bare backed and bare headed hens. A rooster that does not have competition and does not have to ensure his own progeny at every turn will not over mate and give skin bare hens. Bachelor pads or one rooster for small backyard flocks. No matter how good you think everybody is getting along eventually you will get there. You will see why one rooster works best.

Separate runs for the boys until they learn to mind their manners.

I could try, I do have a run but unfortunately it can't be used right now (it needs repairs and cleaning).

If you don't want to rehome or eat them, a bachelor pad is your only option. Depending on how many females you have it may have to be permanent.

They do get along quite well (the boys). But when girls are involved their personalities can change quickly.

Chicken soup? Kidding. Agree with separate housing.

Never! :lau Jk :lol: I will do my best.

Agreed, for the sake of your birds, you MUST separate the cockerels into separate housing. This advice is for any BYF owners who intend to hatch eggs: Do not ever consider plugging in an incubator, or setting eggs to a broody hen unless you already have an exit plan and a management plan in place for the inevitable cockerels. To do so is poor stewardship of the animals entrusted into your care.

Thank you, great advice :)

yes thats the stage they get pretty crazy , so put them in a pen , if the roos have been together since birth and wont fight then put them in a pen together, they will be fine, but roos can kill a hen so the usual rule of roos to hens is one roo to 10 or 12 hens , so if you have more roos then that..? put them in a pen& keep them away from you girls..! but use a big pen like 20x20 or larger so then they will be happy and live a good life together. so no more worries. :thumbsup

I thought that they would be such sweet boys when they were in the brooder, boy I was wrong! I love my Dominiques, when its just them and me together they can be so nice.

But tonight I was holding a hen who couldn't get around the feeder because of the boys. And I was hand feeding her, and one of the Doms timidly came up and either tried to flog me or attack the girl, I couldn't tell if the "attack" was aimed towards me or the girl :hmm

Ditto, ditto, ditto! Time for a roo cave with a large pen. Good stewardship is what its all about. Don't have the money, time or space to provide a roo pen? Then, its time to rehome...gotta think about your girls. They are the ones sacrificing each day to provide you with eggs. This situation is extremely stressful for them. As I said in other posts, I too had four roosters. Put them all in a roo pen, trained then rehomed two. The other two remained in the roo pen for the first two years. I alternated free range days, hens one day rooster next. Now I just have one rooster, his buddy passed away.

No, unfortunately we don't have the money or time for a rooster cave :( We certainly have the space but not the first two.

Oh, I really do not want to rehome. I'm such a softy when it comes to roosters.
Very fortunately today though, the gang breeding has been calmer :th
The girls had a wonderful break from the boys rough housing :love

I would just leave one roo with the hens(generally the top roo)and put the others in a separate pen. Sure the one rooster will chase the hens but thats normal. Add another roo after a certain period of time(month or two)and repeat this depending on the amount of roos you have. The one who was with the hens the longest will defend the hens from the other roos. Works for me

I'll give them a few more days and see if anything calms down. This is the first week that the boys have even mounted any of the hens :rolleyes:

I thought that they would be such sweet boys when they were in the brooder, boy I was wrong! I love my Dominiques, when its just them and me together they can be so nice.

But tonight I was holding a hen who couldn't get around the feeder because of the boys. And I was hand feeding her, and one of the Doms timidly came up and either tried to flog me or attack the girl, I couldn't tell if the "attack" was aimed towards me or the girl :hmm
You're going to have to keep an eye on that. A cockerel/rooster should NOT attack you or any bird you are holding. You're going to have to figure out what you're going to do with any that may turn out to be human aggressive.

I'll give them a few more days and see if anything calms down. This is the first week that the boys have even mounted any of the hens :rolleyes:
It won't. It will only get worse as the testosterone intensifies. I know it's hard to have to make a choice, but when you see your pullets/hens getting run ragged, you may rethink keeping them all.

Roosters are innately wanting the progression of their genetics. You will have roosters that submit and allow a lead to take over. But when he is not watching you will have 'sneaking ' and stalking and waiting for their time. Which will in essence bring about over treading on hen's backs and not so attractive bare backed and bare headed hens. A rooster that does not have competition and does not have to ensure his own progeny at every turn will not over mate and give skin bare hens. Bachelor pads or one rooster for small backyard flocks. No matter how good you think everybody is getting along eventually you will get there. You will see why one rooster works best.
I beg to differ. You have made some good points but I say it all comes down to how you access the situation and the roosters themselfs. I have multiple roosters and my hens don't have bare backs. The roosters favorites do have slight patches on their head but I don't mind at all. But then again this is all my opinion. There's a solution to every problem but I recommend going with separate pens for the roos till their testosterone levels go down. Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom