Gapeworm symptoms and treatment?

nerfworthy

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
South Western Idaho
So I came across some things online about gapeworm and the risks when chickens eat worms, and I'm freaking out now! My babies have eaten quite a few worms from the sod I've brought in for them in the brooder. What is the best treatment in case they contract gapeworm? I want to have it on hand just in case. I haven't really noticed any excessive yawning but now I'm feeling scared that I've exposed my girls to something.. ugh.

Can someone with experience with this parasite give me some advice or words of wisdom to help me feel better. :) ?

Parasitic worms that live in the trachea of the chicken and causes it to gasp, yawn, shake head, etc...eventually leads to suffocation... :( I'm pretty scared now. I hear its kinda rare, but I want to make sure I'm prepared for the worst.

Your chickies will be just fine. My babes eat all sorts of weird stuff when their young. Since gapeworm is so rare, I don't see a need to worry. It does show what a wonderful mum you are though! ❤ Good job doing the research.

It's true that gapeworms are rare in chickens. There are more common worms that I'd worry about rather than gapeworms. Large roundworms and capillary worms are killers.
Respiratory disease symptoms are often mistaken for gapeworm symptoms. Respiratory diseases in poultry are very common. Remember biosecurity to protect your flock.

Eating natural food such as earthworms, grubs, etc is the healthiest way to raise chickens IMO. Our chickens adore Japanese beetles and their grubs. Some eat earthworms, some don't. Some eat them at certain stages and not others. I assume they know what they are doing better than I do. Nothing more fun IMO than watching two chicks playing tug of war with an earthworm (except for the earthworm I guess) except perhaps playing take away/keep away with a big grub. I enjoy turning over rocks or logs to let the chickens eat whatever is underneath. Many follow me around if I have a shovel in hopes I will turn some dirt for them to check out. We have very little disease in our free range flock, never had gapeworm, and our birds usually live to at least 6 or 7 years and many live longer.

Back
Top Bottom