Gapeworm ?

I have a black Jersey Giant Pullet who is showing signs of Gapeworm.

We noticed yesterday she was extending her neck as if she was trying to swallow something. This morning she was still doing it and she wasn't interested in eating with the other chickens. I carefully poured some water down her beak thinking she needed some water (I know to be careful as to not get water in her lungs), but she is still doing it. Im thinking it could be Gapeworm.
I know it's rare- but I live in Oregon and it's been raining the past week. Maybe they surfaced somewhere?

She looks like in this video:
0.jpg

I have dewormer pellets? How would I get it into her? Can I save her? -Jyn
I had one with gape worms and I treated her several days in a row with Safeguard liquid for goats. The dose I used was 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds orally for three days. Add two more days if you want to treat capillary worms as well. You can get the Safeguard for goats at Tractor Supply in the goat/cattle section.

-Kathy

Edited to add pictures of Safeguard and Panacur (can use either). Paste in horse section, liquid in goat/cattle and they look like this:

Last edited:
Thanks! I was told there might be a chicken doc at a vet nearby but they werent sure if they were still there. I will call- the swab I did showed nothing, but then again I dont know how far down I have to go or if I did it right.
Gapeworms live in the trachea, not the throat, which is probably where you swabbed, right? I would not recommend sticking anything in the trachea.

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the glottis, which is the entrance to trachea, down that hole is where one would find gapes - IMO, nothing should ever go in there.

-Kathy

Edited to add this:

Last edited:
I swabbed her and there didn't seem to be anything on it. How far in do I have to go?
I was able to make some mash and stick it in her beak a little while she was gaping and she swallowed a good tablespoon. I let her settle with that and she went off and continued her gaping which is consistantly about 5 seconds apart. Then she sneezed about 4 times and continued gaping, trying to get off somewhere the older chickens wouldnt bother her.

There isnt any wheezing or sound coming from her. I just dont really know what to do at this point. I lost an 8 week old chick last night from our brooder bunch who wasnt looking too well yesterday- wasnt eating or drinking. She ate a little when I isolated her into another brooder and my daughter said she was drinking (but I didnt see her). She was dead this morning. We lost another buff orpington (same age) about 4 days ago in the same way. All the rest seem fine and they're on medicated feed. So, I'm a little stressed right now trying to figure out whats going on. :(
Probably best to start them on Corid or Amprol. Doses per the mfg and FDA are:

• Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days then 1/3 teaspoon for 7 days.
  • Liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days.

Tractor Supply also has this in the cattle section. This is what they look like:

Kathy

My husband got this:

She is pretty little- I think she is only 12 weeks or so. I dont have a scale but I bet she is just over 2-3 lbs. I have 8 kids so I have syringes!
Should I feed her a mash of chicken feed with it or no? I should probably continue to keep her hydrated? She isnt drinking or eating on her own.

My husband got this:

She is pretty little- I think she is only 12 weeks or so. I dont have a scale but I bet she is just over 2-3 lbs. I have 8 kids so I have syringes!
Should I feed her a mash of chicken feed with it or no? I should probably continue to keep her hydrated? She isnt drinking or eating on her own.
That'll work! If you think she weighs closer to 3 pounds give her 0.7ml. Mine that had gapes was fine by day three. Is she drinking and eating? If not, you need to address that as she cannot go three days without water.

-Kathy

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine Paste will treat gapeworms. It is very safe to use, much safer and easier to find than levamisole, which as previously said will treat it. The dosage is 1 ml orally, given for 3 consecutive days. Wait 10 days and repeat. Gapeworms cannot be seen unless you necropsy a chicken who has died and have cut open the trachea. I agree with everyone else that this looks like gapeworm. I'm hoping you can save her. The tube feeding advice may help.

Ordering the levamisole might be a wise thing to do, but there is no reason not to use the Safeguard in the meantime. @ldchetty , curiously, how is the castor oil and turpentine supposed to work? Gapes are in the wind pipe, right? so it will not physically touch them.

-Kathy

Note: I am not suggesting treating with anything other than wormer and supportive care!

Back
Top Bottom