Gapeworm ?

I have to say that SafeGuard did not rid my chooks of gapeworm. I gave them much more then the recommended dose and it did not work! You need to do the turpentine/castor oil mix now and get some levamisole! One of my chooks was on her last leg and the castor oil and turpentine mixture saved her life! The levamisole saved the flock. Read some of the other posts on this site. You will see that others did not have good luck with SafeGuard. :)

If you're saying that you gave the castor oil/turpentine mixture down the esophagus to flush the worms/larva/eggs after treating with levamisol...I agree.
Some folks have used a feather dipped in kerosene and inserted the feather deep in the trachea to kill the gapeworms.

All I can say is that one of my chickens could barely breathe and after I gave her the castor oil/turpentine mixture she could. Not sure how it worked, but it did. Also, the treating once and then again another 7 to 10 days doesn't work. Here is a scholarly article concerning gapeworm in birds and somewhere it mentions that a continuous low dose of med is best: http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Gapeworm_Infection.htm. I followed this advice and my flock no longer has gapeworm.

The turpentine/castor oil mixture allows the chicken's airway to be cleared until you can get levamisole. I used this mixture on my flock every 12 hours until I got the med. I am not speaking philosophically, this is how I saved my flock.

The turpentine/castor oil mixture allows the chicken's airway to be cleared until you can get levamisole. I used this mixture on my flock every 12 hours until I got the med. I am not speaking philosophically, this is how I saved my flock.
How does it clear the airway? Surely you don't put it in the trachea, or do you?

-Kathy

http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticr...ion.aspx?id=508&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
TURPENTINE OIL
Also Known As:
Aceite de Trementina, Essence de Térébenthine, Huile de Pin, Huile de Térébenthine, Huile de Térébenthine Purifiée, Purified Turpentine Oil, Spirits of Turpentine, Térébenthine, Terebinthinae Aetheroleum, Turpentine.
Scientific Name:
Pinus palustris, synonym Pinus australis; Pinus pinaster; other Pinus species.
Family: Pinaceae.
People Use This For:
Topically, turpentine oil is used for rheumatic and neuralgic ailments, muscle pain, toothaches, and disseminated sclerosis.
By inhalation, the vapors of turpentine oil are used to reduce the thickened secretions associated with chronic diseases of the bronchi.
In foods and beverages, distilled turpentine oil is used as a flavoring ingredient.
In manufacturing, turpentine oil is used as an ingredient in soap and cosmetics. Turpentine oil is also used as a paint solvent.
Safety:
POSSIBLY SAFE ...when used topically and appropriately (2). ...when the vapors are inhaled appropriately (2).
POSSIBLY UNSAFE ...when applied topically to large areas (2).
LIKELY UNSAFE ...when used orally for medicinal purposes. 2 mL/kg of turpentine oil is considered toxic (17). 120-180 mL is potentially lethal in adults (17). Pulmonary aspiration can cause hemorrhagic pulmonary edema (17).
CHILDREN: LIKELY UNSAFE ...when used orally, 15 mL is potentially lethal (17). There is insufficient reliable information available about the safety of turpentine oil applied topically or inhaled as vapors in children.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION: LIKELY UNSAFE ...when used orally. It might be an abortifacient (19). There is insufficient reliable information available about the safety of turpentine oil applied topically or inhaled as vapors during pregnancy and lactation.
Effectiveness:
There is insufficient reliable information available about the effectiveness of turpentine oil.
Mechanism of Action:
Turpentine oil is a central nervous system depressant and a pulmonary aspiration hazard. When applied topically, turpentine oil is irritating and exhibits rubefacient and counterirritant effects (6, 11). When inhaled, turpentine oil can have a decongestant effect, possibly by stimulating the cold receptors, which results in reflex vasoconstriction (7).
Adverse Reactions:
Orally, turpentine oil can cause headache, insomnia, coughing, vomiting, hematuria, albuminuria (6), urinary tract inflammation (17), coma (6), and death (17). Pulmonary aspiration produces hemorrhagic pulmonary edema (17). As inhalation therapy, it can cause mild respiratory tract inflammation (17). Turpentine oil can exacerbate bronchial spasms in people with asthma and whooping cough (7).
Topically, it can cause skin irritation, contact allergies, and hypersensitivity (6). Symptoms of poisoning can occur when turpentine oil is applied extensively, including kidney and central nervous system damage (2).
Interactions with Herbs & Supplements:
None known.
Interactions with Drugs:
None known.
Interactions with Foods:
None known.
Interactions with Lab Tests:
None known.
Interactions with Diseases or Conditions:
ACUTE RESPIRATORY TRACT INFLAMMATION: Inhalation of turpentine is contraindicated (2).
ASTHMA, WHOOPING COUGH: Turpentine can exacerbate bronchial spasms (7).
HYPERSENSITIVITY: Contraindicated (2).
Dosage/Administration:
TOPICAL: Several drops of the oil are typically rubbed onto the affected area. The liquid and semi-solid preparations are commonly made in concentrations of 10-50% (2). Application of turpentine should not exceed three to four times per day (3).
INHALATION: The vapors of turpentine are often inhaled as several drops of the oil in hot water (2).
Editor's Comments:
Turpentine oil is obtained by the distillation of the oleoresin (gum turpentine) of longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) and other Pinus species. Terpin hydrate is a semi-synthetic derivative of turpentine (6). Turpentine oil has been used to adulterate juniper berry oil (512). Avoid confusion with gum turpentine, which is the oleoresin (6).​

I can't say what works best on gapeworm since I have never treated it, but the literature supports fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur.) I would use it just because it is readily available. Kerosene has been an old timey remedy that worked on many insects and worm infestations, including lice, but I would be afraid of hydrocarbon inhalation if giving it down the throat with a feather. Here are a couple of articles on how to treat syngamus trachea or gapeworm:
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2653&Itemid=2942
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/helminthiasis/overview_of_helminthiasis_in_poultry.html

Back
Top Bottom