Gapeworm ?

I only treated it once. Hen was a six pounder and I gave her 1.5ml Safeguard for five days, but she was better after just three.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Look, it works, all of my chooks are alive (1 year later) after contracting and being treated for Gapeworm - and ingesting turpentine. I will leave you to ponder the whys as you clearly know more than I do.

Look, it works, all of my chooks are alive (1 year later) after contracting and being treated for Gapeworm - and ingesting turpentine. I will leave you to ponder the whys as you clearly know more than I do.
None of us pretend to know more than you do. I appreciate your advice, and I think it adds to the forum, as well as giving us all options. I'm just posting what I have read, and that is what this is about, giving our opinions, and having a discussion. Then the person can make up their mind. As I said, I haven't had a sick bird with gapeworms, so you must do what you can to treat them. My mother was given turpentine as a kid 80 years ago for some home remedy, and it didn't kill her, LOL. I have taken care of hospitalized children who have swallowed kerosene, and not had as good an outcome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

Syngamus trachea = gapeworm

-Kathy

Kathy,

I used the same information and even spoke to the vet who said that fenbendazole would work. I am not refuting what others say. I am saying that I followed that advice and it did not work. One of my chooks was suffocating to death until I gave the castor oil/turpentine mixture and then the levamisole. I do not understand why you keep negating my experience? There is a lot of information out there and I tried all of it. There are others who have posted on this site that have found that levamisole and not fenbendazole worked for them. In fact, that is why I tried levamisole. I hope that SafeGuard does work for others - it is easier to buy. In the meantime, however, the chickens will die if it does not work.

My husband got this:

She is pretty little- I think she is only 12 weeks or so. I dont have a scale but I bet she is just over 2-3 lbs. I have 8 kids so I have syringes!
Should I feed her a mash of chicken feed with it or no? I should probably continue to keep her hydrated? She isnt drinking or eating on her own.
Well how is she doing? Since gapeworm could be in your environment, I would probably get that stool sample looked at from your vet if possible, because you will want to treat all of your birds. Cleaning up droppings may be a good thing to do, too. It would be best to give this orally undiluted 1/2 ml at a time. Safe Guard is very safe, and hard to overdose. Please update us with any news.

Last edited:
Kathy,

I used the same information and even spoke to the vet who said that fenbendazole would work. I am not refuting what others say. I am saying that I followed that advice and it did not work. One of my chooks was suffocating to death until I gave the castor oil/turpentine mixture and then the levamisole. I do not understand why you keep negating my experience? There is a lot of information out there and I tried all of it. There are others who have posted on this site that have found that levamisole and not fenbendazole worked for them. In fact, that is why I tried levamisole. I hope that SafeGuard does work for others - it is easier to buy. In the meantime, however, the chickens will die if it does not work.
I also suggested buying levamisole as a back up, but honestly, at this point the hen is more likely to die from dehydration. They can go a couple of days without water, but day three is usually fatal for them.

-Kathy

I have to say that SafeGuard did not rid my chooks of gapeworm.

I think Im having that issue right now. She had 3 days of it and nothing has changed. She is eating, I havent seen her drink- but she is still gaping every 5 seconds. :( She is also coughing now and then. I want to take some more footage, the stool sample test is $35 and we already spent that on the meds.
I give the meds once a day right?
None of the others seems to be suffering from this. I would love to think it's something else, or even just this but easier to just get rid of.

Last edited:
@Jynuine , let me know if you want to learn how to tube fluids,

-Kathy

I really would. I have syringes (we have big needles with a removable needle head) and I am having Gracie give her electrolytes (unflavored) inbetween gaping just in case. She eats a little in the morning and I have her isolated at night and she will eat mash- I just havent seen her drink.

Here is a video I just took. If you cant see it, it's because it's still processing but Im figuring you should be able to see it by the time you read this.
0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom