Gaping and extending neck.

Early signs of botulism are similar to Coccidiosis symptoms. If there's improvement daily, and the Cocci protozoa hopefully haven't done too much damage to the intestinal tract, then the meds are working. As a rule I know I have to change medication if I don't see improvement in 2-3 days. With Coccidiosis, I can't tell you how many posts I've seen of birds affected by this disease, where preventative treatment with Corid, starting from about 3 weeks of age, would have prevented it. 9 out of 10 times, they haven't assisted the bird in building resistance, fed too much variety other than medicated feed, or used cheap, low quality feed. They also listen to ridiculous notions from some people that apple cider vinegar, yogurt, or garlic will somehow remedy Coccidiosis.

Here's some reliable information about Coccidiosis:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

All birds come in contact with this protozoa, and unless the numbers of protozoa are controlled, the bird will become overwhelmed by them. Amprolium has proven to be the medicinal controller of this disease since thiamine (vitamin B1) is needed by the protozoa to survive. Amprolium limits the uptake of this particular vitamin to the protozoa. Supplementing water with soluble probiotic and vitamin-mineral powder benefits the flock after any medication or antibiotic therapy, just as it does on a regular basis (3 times a week).

Last edited:
He is a lot perkier this evening. I am very surprised, but still not holding out much hope. I just can't seem to envisage him using his legs again. He just had a massive meal and drink. Will update tomorrow, if he's still alive!!

Well...it is with a mixture of sadness and relief that I write to inform that I had to dispatch of my little fellow this morning. One swift hard chop to the neck with a hatchet and his suffering was over.

When I went to check on him on waking up, both his legs were fully extended and rigid, his comb was a very dark red and his wings were spread out. I popped him on the floor and he was just all over the place. If there was any chance of recovery from such a state, I would have progressed with healing, but he really had gone beyond the point of no return. I am convinced it was a combination of coccidiosis and Marek's. I had the drug for the former, but no chance with the latter.

So that's the end of my rather woeful story. I miss the little chap, but I can be pretty self-assured I tried absolutely everything I could.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments during his difficult period.

I have been following this thread and hoping that your little fellow would pull through... I am so very sorry to hear that he didn't make it.

It is heartbreaking to see them not responding to all that we can offer them.

You did everything possible to help him through.... it is hard to end their life but you know when the time is right..... I commend you for all that you have done.... condolences.

hugs.gif

Thanks Suzie.

I never thought I'd get so attached, but when these little feathery things are in your care, you grow so very fond of them. He went to the vet twice, and it just got to the stage where he was just not functioning at all really. It was most definitely the most humane thing for me to do. I couldn't, and I am very sure he didn't want to go through another day in that state.

So sorry about the little guy not making it, you both tried so hard. These decisions are awful to make as owners and you did what was best for him. My sympathy for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom