Gate for sheep only

szaboakos

In the Brooder
May 30, 2019
Hi!

I’d like to ask your opinion, tips and advices about an interesting gate construction issue.

I keep two sheep and chickens together in my backyard. Now the backyard is directly connected to the pasture. The pasture has electric fencing to keep the sheep in control and to separate the vegetable garden.

Now the chickens are absolutely free range (access the pasture, vegetable garden and the whole world :) ) without any limits because they are not really affected by the electric fence.

Now I like to build a gate between the backyard and the pasture that can be used sometimes in a way when only the sheep can pass through it. I don’t like our hens to roam away all the time or to redesign the vegetable garden.

The basis of the idea is that, I construct a gate that can be opened only by the sheep. Based on their weight and creativity.

The first idea was to create an “industrial plastic curtain” like small solution to a 60cmx100cm gate, that is too heavy for the chickens to pass through. Maybe something like that with vertical wood bars. The second idea was to create a western style swing door.

Any idea or recommendation? Do you have any experiment in the issue? :)

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Ákos

Can the chickens fly over whatever gate you build? Is the current sheep/chicken area enclosed by a roof?

No, there is no roof. It is a 400 square meter backyard. At the moment the inner fence is 130cm high. It works at the moment. I plan to have a back gate with the same height. If there will be problem maybe cutting back feathers a little bit in the wings will do the trick.

What do you think?

I don’t like our hens to roam away all the time or to redesign the vegetable garden.
Then keep them enclosed?
Fence 'em in or fence 'em out.

At the moment the inner fence is 130cm high.
They will go over that easy, probably even with clipped wings.

What is your main goal here....to keep the chickens out of the vegetable garden?
Some pics would help immensely.

Hi!

I’d like to ask your opinion, tips and advices about an interesting gate construction issue.

I keep two sheep and chickens together in my backyard. Now the backyard is directly connected to the pasture. The pasture has electric fencing to keep the sheep in control and to separate the vegetable garden.

Now the chickens are absolutely free range (access the pasture, vegetable garden and the whole world :) ) without any limits because they are not really affected by the electric fence.

Now I like to build a gate between the backyard and the pasture that can be used sometimes in a way when only the sheep can pass through it. I don’t like our hens to roam away all the time or to redesign the vegetable garden.

The basis of the idea is that, I construct a gate that can be opened only by the sheep. Based on their weight and creativity.

The first idea was to create an “industrial plastic curtain” like small solution to a 60cmx100cm gate, that is too heavy for the chickens to pass through. Maybe something like that with vertical wood bars. The second idea was to create a western style swing door.

Any idea or recommendation? Do you have any experiment in the issue? :)

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Ákos

I’m thinking a “gravity hinge” or “spring loaded” hinge that allows the sheep to push the gate open but self closes the gate might provide a solution

I’m thinking a “gravity hinge” or “spring loaded” hinge that allows the sheep to push the gate open but self closes the gate might provide a solution
There was a spring loaded hinge on a heavy door at the milk barn I visited with my father when I was a kid. I pushed through the door and as it swung shut it caught the neck of a kitten that was following me. The farmer dashed off with the kitten to dispatch it while Dad tried to console his horrified daughter.
Picture a similar scene with a chicken following the sheep through the gate.

Hmmm.. might work!
Are sheep that smart?

I’d probably adjust or rig it to be ajar for a bit until they had the hang of it but yeah they’d be able to figure it out...

... the problem would be the lead sheep would figure it out and then sheep 2, 3, 4, etc would just follow them through... so a young lamb or following sheep might get stuck on one side a few times not knowing to push through at first... but they’d figure it out..

There was a spring loaded hinge on a heavy door at the milk barn I visited with my father when I was a kid. I pushed through the door and as it swung shut it caught the neck of a kitten that was following me. The farmer dashed off with the kitten to dispatch it while Dad tried to console his horrified daughter.
Picture a similar scene with a chicken following the sheep through the gate.

That would certainly be something to think about in setting something like this up... maybe soft edges like foam pipe insulation or a swimming noodle on the gate and post would prevent tragedy... if those are available where the OP resides...

....kittens, foals, and baby chickens seem to be able to get themselves into predicaments that we’d never imagine...

Back
Top Bottom