Gathering leaves and pine needles - any risk?

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
We have leaves finally dropping and the needles just fell this week. We are carpeted by needles!

How are you managing your lawn litter differently with avian flu risk?

We have a large marsh but no ducks that stay. Maybe 2 came thru in May for an hour. 4 cranes came thru in August for a week straight digging up goodies all around the pond area in the grass then walked right down our long driveway and out the front gate.

I insisted on a covered run and I'd hate to sabotage our efforts now but Id like to pile up leaves and pine needles into the run for winter.

I see the winter birds are now back they are foraging in our woods pines and bushes. I haven't seen or heard any geese flying overhead at all. Just crows getting ready to leave swarmed us today.

Just shout it out if I'm being too crazy. :wee

I usually collect my fall leaves for use later in the year, by bagging dry/mostly dry leaves loosely in paper yard waste bags/paper feed bags, and setting them aside in a greenhouse. I've even taken to bagging mowed, dry grass clippings this summer in the same way. For this past spring/summer that's been very useful in providing litter while the flock was locked up in the run.

If you haven't had a case in a month (same for me) I'd probably take the risk and just go ahead and use some leaves/needles now, if you want.

Back
Top Bottom