Gatorade????

If you take Duvet that has 37% sodium and add it to 500 gallons of water then it is DILUTED. It is no longer no longer in it's concentrated state and no longer 37% sodium..

It like if you were feeding a 16% protein feed and you add 10 lbs of corn per every 90 lbs of feed, that 16% feed is no longer 16% protein it is in fact a 15% feed. Why because it was diluted...

It don't take a Masters in Ag. or 21 in the Infantry to figure out how things get diluted.

Chris

I think the problem is that you are simply not taking the time to read the posts carefully. I never once mentioned diluting anything. My posts have specifically remained on the topic of guaranteed analysis of the Duravet package. The Duravet package clearly states that there is 32% to 37% sodium in the package whether you use 8 oz of the product or 16 oz of the product. I think Duravet purposefully wrote it on the package this way for people who really do not understand percent analysis. It sort of forces people to ponder "hmmm....I'm feeding 37% sodium no matter how much Duravet I use as long as I mix as per directions." So to recap what the label already says: If you only used 2 oz of Duravet, that 2 oz of Duravet will contain 32% to 37% sodium by volume. And if you only use 1 oz of Duravet, then you still have 37% sodium content. So I guess you are thinking dilutions when my post actually was about guaranteed analysis on the package. Yes you are correct in inferring that if you do not wish to follow the instructions on the label and wanted to give your chickens less than 84 g of sodium a day, then yes you would add more water.

I personally would not give my chickens Gatorade. My kids run cross country and do track and field and I won't let them drink Gatorade so I certainly wouldn't give it to my chickens.

Save-A-Chick electrolytes brand is probably the most often used product. It's available at most farm supply stores for $1.99 as a three pack. Each pack treats one gallon of water.

And I think it is a better product than Duravet because it has more % potassium than % sodium and it has more % potassium than Duravet. Potassium is more important in an electrolyte than sodium.

I personally would not give my chickens Gatorade. My kids run cross country and do track and field and I won't let them drink Gatorade so I certainly wouldn't give it to my chickens.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Gatorade if it is used for what it was developed for. It was developed to replace electrolytes and fluids in athletes who lose 3-7% of their body weight during a single intensive workout (similar to getting an IV when you are severely dehydrated). The problem is that Gatorade has become a "sports drink" that is over consumed and has been linked with childhood obesity and kidney problems. The U.S. Army did a study and the results caused the Army to limit the sports and energy drinks consumed by soldiers to 2 per day in theatre. So if your kids have a proper diet and remain hydrated, then I agree that they would not need Gatorade. As for chickens, it is the sugar content in Gatorade that is questionable when compared to pedialyte, Duravet, etc, not to mention Gatorade is more expensive.

Hi all, is there a link/forum area for tips on keeping chickens cool in "103" degree heat for the next 3 days?? I was read what you all were saying about Gatorade or not. Do I use the electrolyte powder; like the Sav-A-Chick?? or is there is different type of electrolyte I should use? Sorry new at this and need to find a solution. They are in an area with a ceiling fan on high and I tried putting a frozen jug of water in with them but I didn't notice any difference in temp. I have also been running the sprinkler during the hottest parts of the day they walk through it a bit. Is there anything else I can do, proactively?? Thanks!

I think the problem is that you are simply not taking the time to read the posts carefully. I never once mentioned diluting anything. My posts have specifically remained on the topic of guaranteed analysis of the Duravet package. The Duravet package clearly states that there is 32% to 37% sodium in the package whether you use 8 oz of the product or 16 oz of the product. I think Duravet purposefully wrote it on the package this way for people who really do not understand percent analysis. It sort of forces people to ponder "hmmm....I'm feeding 37% sodium no matter how much Duravet I use as long as I mix as per directions." So to recap what the label already says: If you only used 2 oz of Duravet, that 2 oz of Duravet will contain 32% to 37% sodium by volume. And if you only use 1 oz of Duravet, then you still have 37% sodium content. So I guess you are thinking dilutions when my post actually was about guaranteed analysis on the package. Yes you are correct in inferring that if you do not wish to follow the instructions on the label and wanted to give your chickens less than 84 g of sodium a day, then yes you would add more water.

Quote: I under stand what you posted but when you give Durvet you have to put it in either water or 1 ton of feed. You are not feeding the product as it is in the packet or in its raw state.

Quote: It should be like any other feed, mineral ect. that you get for livestock where the percentages on the bag/packet tells you what is in the bag/packet and not as it is in the diluted form.

Chris

There is nothing inherently wrong with Gatorade if it is used for what it was developed for. It was developed to replace electrolytes and fluids in athletes who lose 3-7% of their body weight during a single intensive workout (similar to getting an IV when you are severely dehydrated). The problem is that Gatorade has become a "sports drink" that is over consumed and has been linked with childhood obesity and kidney problems. The U.S. Army did a study and the results caused the Army to limit the sports and energy drinks consumed by soldiers to 2 per day in theatre. So if your kids have a proper diet and remain hydrated, then I agree that they would not need Gatorade. As for chickens, it is the sugar content in Gatorade that is questionable when compared to pedialyte, Duravet, etc, not to mention Gatorade is more expensive.
The thing is most good trainers and doctors will tell there client not to drink Gatorade.
Most of the people that weight train or are sport training don't drink Gatorade, there are far better products on the market now that makes Gatorade look like plane old Sugar Water.

Most of the good electrolytes you ain't going to walk into a grocery store and get. You get them a real health food store, gym, or on line.

Chris

I under stand what you posted but when you give Durvet you have to put it in either water or 1 ton of feed. You are not feeding the product as it is in the packet or in its raw state.

It should be like any other feed, mineral ect. that you get for livestock where the percentages on the bag/packet tells you what is in the bag/packet and not as it is in the diluted form.

Chris

Chris, I think we are both saying the same thing but in different ways. Yes, you have to follow the instructions (ratios) given on the label. If the label says you get 37% sodium with 8 oz of product to 1 gallon of water, but you wanted to make 10 gallons of water and still keep the 37% sodium, then you would need to put in ten 8 oz packs of the product into the 10 gallons of water. If you put in just one packet of product to 10 gallons of water then your sodium content in 10 gallons of water is only 3.7%.

My kids do eat healthy and are very active. But if you look at the sugar amounts in Gatorade and compare it soda, it's almost the same amount. The same goes for the Vitamin Water. I think even active kids do not need that much extra sugar.

Hi all, is there a link/forum area for tips on keeping chickens cool in "103" degree heat for the next 3 days?? I was read what you all were saying about Gatorade or not. Do I use the electrolyte powder; like the Sav-A-Chick?? or is there is different type of electrolyte I should use? Sorry new at this and need to find a solution. They are in an area with a ceiling fan on high and I tried putting a frozen jug of water in with them but I didn't notice any difference in temp. I have also been running the sprinkler during the hottest parts of the day they walk through it a bit. Is there anything else I can do, proactively?? Thanks!

You are pretty much doing all you can do unless you can move them into a wooded area. We put frozen jugs of water in with our rabbits which helps the rabbits, but we have too many chickens to do that with chickens (160+ chickens). We place frozen blocks of water into the waterers which makes the water cooler for the hens and we repositioned our poultry fence farther into the woods. The hens scratch out holes into the cooler soil in the woods and they seem to be cooler. Best of luck. We are going to have a 3 day break from our heatwave here in Va, but weatherman says the heat will start up again this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom