geese are not laying

Bird Worrier

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2017
Our 3 French geese have not been laying for the last several days. They are monopolizing their coop (can't get in there to clean) and acting like they're trying to lay but no results. This is their prime laying season?

What part of the world are you in?

Do they have eggs in their coop? You might be dealing with broodies.
Thanks, Lydia! We are in Washington State. They haven't been laying - that's the thing. But the 3 girls (2+ years old) are spending so much time in their coop - seemingly trying to lay. Just now I found one new egg. But other than that they haven't layed in at least a week.

Are you thinking they are egg bound ? Try getting some calcium gluconate and give your girls 1 ml each if egg bound this can get the muscles contracting and if there is an egg the CG will help it pass. I have an 8 yr old female Toulouse that stopped laying in her 4th season I have no idea why she is healthy and they go through breeding season just like normal and she even goes in and acts like she wants to lay but never does.

Are you thinking they are egg bound ? Try getting some calcium gluconate and give your girls 1 ml each if egg bound this can get the muscles contracting and if there is an egg the CG will help it pass. I have an 8 yr old female Toulouse that stopped laying in her 4th season I have no idea why she is healthy and they go through breeding season just like normal and she even goes in and acts like she wants to lay but never does.
We don't think they are egg-bound but good information. Thank you!

What part of the world are you in?

Do they have eggs in their coop? You might be dealing with broodies.
Hello Miss Lydia! Thank you for your reply. I believe you are right. Our geese are broodie. And moodie!! I have another question for you. You mentioned that calcium gloconate would help egg-bound geese. Would calcium gloconate also work for chickens? I might just purchase some to have on hand. How do you use it?

Thank you, Miss Lydia!!
Miss Lydia! A different question for you! I have 10 ducks. One kiddie pool (typical size you can buy at the drug store). Obviously, ducks get all water sources real dirty, real fast. I don't empty their pool every day. How often do you recommend that I change the water for 10 ducks? They love their pool. And they love it when it's fresh. I just don't want to over-do or under-do the changing of their pool water. I change their drinking water at least once per day. Ha! As if they don't drink from their pool....they do!

I have 16 ducks actually 18- 2 are a week old I have a large kiddy pool and change their water every other day. For a small kiddy pool they’d get fresh water daily because they’d have most of the water splashed out anyway.

Back
Top Bottom