Geese are not pairing up as expected……… one single goose and 2 ganders courting 1 goose

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
I have 2 pair of American Buff that I got last spring. The 2 females just started laying, each one has her own nest. The two ganders seem to have bonded just with one female. They follow her around and stand guard when she is laying eggs in the nest, they couldn't care less about the other goose. Not following her and not showing any interest. Are her eggs even getting fertilized ??? Feel bad for her not having a "boyfriend"……….. They are all doing fine together, living with ducks, its just now with mating season that the 2 ganders are just more into the other goose…….
Will the pair up at some point or will she always be the single lady??????

I have 2 pair of American Buff that I got last spring. The 2 females just started laying, each one has her own nest. The two ganders seem to have bonded just with one female. They follow her around and stand guard when she is laying eggs in the nest, they couldn't care less about the other goose. Not following her and not showing any interest. Are her eggs even getting fertilized ??? Feel bad for her not having a "boyfriend"……….. They are all doing fine together, living with ducks, its just now with mating season that the 2 ganders are just more into the other goose…….
Have you ever thought of separating a gander and a goose to a "love nest" area? Is that an option? They may eventually, but it all depends on the ganders. I hope it works out!

I'd separate them into pairs and see what happens.

They both started laying and having nests….. so I don't really want to disturb them too much right now. Wanna have some babies……
Was just wondering if they ever pair up. I don't really mind it and they are not mean to her, was just curious if they will sort it out at some point. Don't know if I wanna got through the hassle of separating them…..
Thanks for the input!!!!

Back
Top Bottom