Geese coming in at night.

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey everyone I have a question. You know how if you have chickens in their pen for a few weeks and you let them out they will come back when it gets dark to roost? Well my question is, If I hatch some geese, and while they are young I keep them in their pen, and I let them out to eat some grass and go in the pond, will they come back to their pen when it gets dark like chickens will, because I dont want predators to get them. Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!
smile.png

Thanks.
smile.png

Mine don't, they have a mind of their own on how things should be and are only in the goose barn right now because it's been about 19 degrees below zero and the snow must sting their webs...so they are on a thick bed of straw inside and are surrounded by chain link fence.

My geese run around on the lawn all day and when it hits nightfall they go back into the garden area.

Now, after they go in, I put them in one of the chicken runs because of an owl attack. You should make sure you have somewhere where they are confined for the night with a top enclosure so you don't happen upon an owl trying to eat your pet alive.

A friend of mine has a lot of geese. All hers go back inside at night. They have been taught to. She doesn't have a pond for them, so maybe that helps. I do know that she waits till almost dark to feed them, and she feeds them in the pen, so of course they go in to eat and she just locks them up.

My geese and ducks are the last to go to their coop at night. I feed them every night at bedtime so they follow me in without having to catch them. I feel like the pied piper...lol.....

but will they come back to the roost even though we have a pond? Because when my ducks started going down the pond they stayed there.

I have always herded mine in and the other day they went in by themselves before I got there. They even split into the right pens! You still need to shut the doors though.

Quote:
That is exactly what mine do, or are you talking about mine shelly! LOL Usually they are waiting IN the pen for me to come feed them. Once they get used to the routine, they will stick to it! (PS shelly, I have Call duck eggs just found them today! WOO HOO)

Back
Top Bottom