buckwheatthesilkie

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2022
Ok so I received two 3 year old Embden geese about 2 weeks ago. They are mated for life. We got them to deter air predators as we’ve had quite the issue with them this year and so far, they have been doing a good job. We are also keen on them to alert us if there is anybody on our property as we do not have a dog. They are friendly towards humans, enjoy their pond, and so beautiful to look at. They are outside all day and we just started letting them free range (they stick to the yard well) and then put them in a coop at night. Overall, I think that everything is going well so far.

There is just one issue in that they are aggressive towards my other birds (chickens & Muscovy ducks). I had 3 hens living with them in their coop as I transitioned the hens to the main coop and there wasn’t really an issue, since the chickens were roosting up high at night time. But when my chickens and ducks are free ranging, the gander will bite them when they are near. I wouldn’t say that the gander seeks out the other birds to bite but if they come too close, he will certainly nip. Usually it’s one nip and then he is done. Same goes with the ducks. Although the ducks can definitely get closer than the chickens without issue.

I want to house my ducks and geese together at nighttime but when I’ve tried to put my ducks in with the geese, it’s a hard no.The gander attacks my ducks and won’t lay off. Is it too early to try this? Do I have to give it some more time for them to get friendly? Or will this literally never work? Thanks!

My gander will pull feathers, but I already had them separate from the chickens at night. During the day they free range so I try to make sure everyone has plenty of access to separate shelters places to eat drink.

A neighbor has a barn, everyone has their own stall, geese, ducks, chickens.

chickens & Muscovy ducks can fly and roost am I correct? Anything that can travel above a goose is a predator. Part of there built in senses yes that also means humans. We are predators. but its how we approach them that can make a big difference othere birds dont really understand that. I dont have any answers to how to get them to get along. It dose not sound like your geese are seaking them out. But is it possible your geese are just being self protective.

Back
Top Bottom