Geese question... about breeding

Barnyardchicks

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
NW Wisconsin
Ok I am new to this whole thing so... here goes.
Will my two male Sebestapols mate with my beautiful brown female Geese. I just got the girls and they were laying eggs like crazy with the other lady. I think the males Sinatra and Sebastion would like girls of there own kind... am i right??
Plus what are the other ways to sex these guys ?? Just the neck curve? How about their honks??
Thanks for the help in advance!!

Geese don't care about the breed of their lover - you can cross practically anything. Sebastopols are supposed to be hard to breed, but since I've never messed with them I don't know any of the specifics (whether they have a lower fertility, their feathers get in the way, etc). I've heard that you can sex geese by their honks but it doesn't work for mine. Your best bet is to vent sex them if you want a 100% guarantee as to what they are (or at least a 100% guarantee that you have a male and a kinda-guarantee that you have female
smile.png
. Especially since same-sex pairs will sometimes take on the behavior of a mated pair of geese.

Thank you for answering my question.
They all seem to be geting along very well. Will it be to late if they do lay eggs to sit on them? The weather has been so weird!

I only have a chinese gander and I agree that his honk is higher pitched then the women.

In other breeds I can't tell by the honk.

I've spent ridiculous amounts of time sitting out with my geese. Even when I know the exact genders (my American Buff flock are banded and my Pilgrims are pretty easy to tell apart) I can't accurately tell who is who by their sounds. The yearlings sound different from the adults, and my older geese (five and up) seem a lot more muted.

I hate disagreeing with you, but I'm testing the theory out on 35+ geese. It may work in some breeds, but it's not working with either of these. Once my Romans are older I can test it out on them and see how much luck I have.

Back
Top Bottom