Geese training?

Goslings like to chew on you because that is their way of feeling. But as they get older it is not so cute when they take that big bite and cause hematoma's on you.
So we need to teach them not to bit period. When I got my first two goslings Sammie and Samantha I picked them up all the time and loved on them and taught them not to bite by holding their beak closed and saying NO Bite. Which worked great.

Now those of you who have gander's as pets in the house and they are the only goose they are fine and do not get into breeding season mode because they are the only one. But still teach them no bite.

I read @Olive Hill post about gander behavior months ago when our white Chinese boy, Snow, was starting to give us trouble. It really works! I did go through a very rough patch with Snow, but now he is very respectful of me. All it took was a few pinnings and 1 chase around the yard and he not only acknowledges that I am top goose, he will discipline the other geese when they get out of line too. I have a young 12 week old African goose who is a terror and she is constantly trying to attack, when she came after me I was ready to grab and pin, but Snow got to her first! I am so proud of my boy, it was worth all the time spend teaching him his place and some manners. Snow is now 23 weeks old and a very different gander from a few months ago.

Now I have to teach my husband and sons the same techniques that allowed me to safely handle Snow, because Snow will still threaten them.

I can also attest that @RURU advice about pinching their bill when they bite works. Snow's hatch mate, Jasmine, is a lovely goose who still loves climbing in my lap for snuggles. Everyone has said geese are not tactile creatures, but for some reason Jasmine will climb in my lap and put her head under my arms. She does this voluntarily. However, she did start nipping at me and left bruises. So I started pinching her mouth shut and not letting go till she stopped struggling, along with telling her no biting. She is much better now, she will still occasionally nip me, and even gentle nips get the same correction. If she persists in nipping I put her off my lap, don't let her get back on, and give the other geese some chest scratches. Jasmine gets so upset that she hangs her head, give me pitiful hinks, but she does behave herself for a long time afterward. They are intelligent, but they do constantly push to see what they can get away with. Jasmine knows not to bite, and she has never threatened anyone or acted aggressive in any other way, but she is always testing to see if I will let her get away with it this time. On the other hand, Jasmine like Snow will discipline the other geese when they get out of line. Sometimes it makes me feel bad for the offending goose, getting disciplined by myself, Snow and Jasmine, but I don't feel bad enough that I let it slid. Give a goose an inch and they will take a mile.

My 3 youngest white chinese adults are very difficult birds. Appears to be 3 hens, and all 3 are a daily terror. They were the last 3 hatched last year and spoiled terribly with the bad temps this last winter. Out of about 30 some geese they are my daily issue! So we are planning to sell them, sadly. I have pinned them, held them..they just do not seem to be able to coexist with the other waterfowl. 99% of my fights are one of these girls. Terribly aggressive to the goslings. I am stumped on this one, nothing seems to be correcting the behavior.
I had to separate them to a breeding pen to stop the attacks on the goslings hatched this year. Not working and about to give up.

My 3 youngest white chinese adults are very difficult birds. Appears to be 3 hens, and all 3 are a daily terror. They were the last 3 hatched last year and spoiled terribly with the bad temps this last winter. Out of about 30 some geese they are my daily issue! So we are planning to sell them, sadly. I have pinned them, held them..they just do not seem to be able to coexist with the other waterfowl. 99% of my fights are one of these girls. Terribly aggressive to the goslings. I am stumped on this one, nothing seems to be correcting the behavior.
I had to separate them to a breeding pen to stop the attacks on the goslings hatched this year. Not working and about to give up.
I'm so sorry it's heartbreaking when you feel you have done all you can and nothing has worked. Sure wish I knew what would help. Sounds like their going to have to go to a home with no other animals.

That's rough. I only have 1 problem child goose. But with her I have help from an unexpected source. My oldest, dominant pair of geese, Snow and Jasmine, as soon as I hit the yard and squat all the geese coming running to me to tell me about their day and get chest scratches. When Gertrude, my mean girl, tries to bite me or do something that's not allowed, Snow and Jasmine take after her and run her away until she calms. When she comes back, if she shows no aggression, I move Snow and Jasmine back a little to let her come to me. She is still a problem, especially with anyone other than me, but she is getting better interacting with me. I don't know if it's because I discipline her, or the other geese, do when she gets out of line, but it has made a difference.

Do you have a dominant pair that has a strong bond with you, but no babies? Maybe you could put 1 troublemaker with them and spend lots of time socializing with them. The dominant pair won't take any crap from her, and them getting on her might make a difference. But I do it 1 troublemaker at a time, that way she is separated from her buddies. You don't want the troublemakers teaching bad habits to your other geese, or ganging up on them. It might be worth a shot.

I read @Olive Hill post about gander behavior months ago when our white Chinese boy, Snow, was starting to give us trouble. It really works! I did go through a very rough patch with Snow, but now he is very respectful of me. All it took was a few pinnings and 1 chase around the yard and he not only acknowledges that I am top goose, he will discipline the other geese when they get out of line too. I have a young 12 week old African goose who is a terror and she is constantly trying to attack, when she came after me I was ready to grab and pin, but Snow got to her first! I am so proud of my boy, it was worth all the time spend teaching him his place and some manners. Snow is now 23 weeks old and a very different gander from a few months ago.
How do you safely "pin" a goose?

My gander[adult] I straddle him and hold him down with my knees on the ground on either side. Holding his neck so he can't bite. That's how I do it. from what I've read you should never hold a goose on it's back something about their air sac

Last edited:

There are different ways. You can pick up the goose, making sure to pin its wings under your arms. Keep control of the head, I case it tried to bite and just hold it there until it stops fighting you. The pin works best when the goose submits.

Because I have a bad back injury I don't pick the goose up. When the goose or gander stretches its neck out in attack mode, I quickly grab just behind the head, and put my other hand on its back. Then I gently but firmly push the body back and down, so as not to injure the legs. With its body in the ground and its neck stretched out, I hold the goose in that position, 1 hand on the back of the head and 1 on its back to prevent it from getting up, until it stops fighting. Once it has submitted, I let it up with its head facing away from me to give it a clear path of retreat and I chase it for a few steps to reinforce that I'm the bigger, stronger goose in the yard. Yelling something at its retreating back helps, lol. Don't mind the crazy look the neighbors give you. The first few times I pinned Snow I had to lean across his body with my arm over his back and both wings. Now though, I can just place my hand on his back and he submits quickly. Always keep a hand on the head though, hey will try to bite.

My gander[adult] I straddle him and hold him down with my knees on the ground on either side. Holding his neck so he can't bite. That's how I do it.  from what I've read you should never hold a goose on it's back something about their air sac 

I need to keep the straddle in mind for when they are fully mature. I was afraid to try it with mine in case I squashed them, lol. But soon enough the arm over the back won't cut it, not when breeding season hits anyway. Thanks for the tip!

My gander[adult] I straddle him and hold him down with my knees on the ground on either side. Holding his neck so he can't bite. That's how I do it. from what I've read you should never hold a goose on it's back something about their air sac
I tried to google the air sac thing but everything i pull up has to do with brooding eggs. do you remember where you read that. i trained one of my ducks to lay on her back when i am holding her... maybe i shouldnt have

Back
Top Bottom