Geese training?

Geese really flog more than bite usually. I have a canadian goose that's attached herself to us, literally this last week. She is flat stunning and graceful in every way. I wont confine her, but she is not fearful of anything here. She walked over from the big park across the road. She comes and goes, has had arguments with my guys and wing flogging/grabbing has been the normal thing between them. Eats from my hand, I can pick her up and carry her. My Mom loved to touch her and she was sweet and gentle when I carried her in to visit mom.
The nibbles they do is more a tasting, interacting thing IMO. I have only been truly bit a few times and corrected that fast. Geese test and learn whats ok. they just need us to teach them.

Yeah she pulled a fast one on me. lol
tongue.png

Missy got me with her wing once you should have heard me explaining to the folks who were working on my glasses how they got bent up. They said that was a first for them.
I was "punched" in the face when i first started rehabbing Jeffery the injured muscovy drake. It really hurt and it made my glasses fly off my face. I wouldnt want to be hit by some of those geese that are twice the size of a scovy!

Goslings test things with their mouths since they don't have hands, one thing you don't want to do is hand feed, it gets them into the habit of grabbing food. I have a hard time thinking that at 4 days this means anything other than hey let me taste this. just try and divert it's attrention off of you or anyone else it maybe wanting to bite. Toys the kind you can get for large caged birds might help. and non breakable mirrors are good to have on hand. and teasing is an absolute no no.
How should treats be given, especially for training purposes? If I want to reward the gosling for responding to its name, should I just put the treat on the ground right after she/he comes to me?

How should treats be given, especially for training purposes? If I want to reward the gosling for responding to its name, should I just put the treat on the ground right after she/he comes to me?
My 2 adult geese know their names they learn fast too.To keep from being bit I'd put the food on the ground or have a special bowl for them to eat out of. I use a 2qt pot with a handle that way my hand is out of the way.

Treats, I hand feed to my geese adults. Ya, sometimes they will get excited and pinch a bit but not aggressively. Its helped me to manage my big Embden gander a lot. He is very dominant, (2 year old) big and very aggressive protecting his hens. Its helped me keep a bond with him, and his hens. I still have a daily challenge collecting his hens eggs! Sorry, buddy, they are mine. I plan to let them brood in May at the end of the laying season. Goslings need to stay really warm their first days, and protected from predators.
I think my hens are mature enough this year to care for them.

I found the above video on how to deal with aggressive geese. the ones in the video appear to be Canadian geese, but I guess it will work with any breed.
just remember to avoid the goose repellent, it just annoys them according to the advice given.

I needed this bit of advice to use on my very aggressive goose. I have been very aggressive back to him, but need to be more so and do it more consistently. Thanks!

I needed this bit of advice to use on my very aggressive goose. I have been aggressive back to him, but need to be more so and do it more consistently. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom