Geese training?

This is hilarious. When I think back, when he was 4 months old, he would walk around with that neck stretched out, but never came at me, always ran away. Now the sight of me triggers screams and wing flapping, and of course go near him and the fight is on. So I've read some and I guess I will show him who's boss. They used to pick at my flip flops, both the duck and goose, the duck never turned against me though. Glad to hear this should be over in a few months, lol. Man, certainly will be wearing cowboy boots when around them, holy cats. To the by-stander this must look rather funny, but it sure isn't. Imagine a little kid, oh my, none of those around here, but he does go after the cat. Well so anyway, thanks for the link, I will give it a try. The roast pan is not an option, neither is re homing or lopping off the head, obviously it's a mistake I made early on hanging out with them too much. I might try a couple female geese after all. He's a Roman Tufted, does it matter much what kind I get? Always somebody wanting to get rid of the oddball around here.
lau.gif

This is hilarious. When I think back, when he was 4 months old, he would walk around with that neck stretched out, but never came at me, always ran away. Now the sight of me triggers screams and wing flapping, and of course go near him and the fight is on. So I've read some and I guess I will show him who's boss. They used to pick at my flip flops, both the duck and goose, the duck never turned against me though. Glad to hear this should be over in a few months, lol. Man, certainly will be wearing cowboy boots when around them, holy cats. To the by-stander this must look rather funny, but it sure isn't. Imagine a little kid, oh my, none of those around here, but he does go after the cat. Well so anyway, thanks for the link, I will give it a try. The roast pan is not an option, neither is re homing or lopping off the head, obviously it's a mistake I made early on hanging out with them too much. I might try a couple female geese after all. He's a Roman Tufted, does it matter much what kind I get? Always somebody wanting to get rid of the oddball around here.
lau.gif
It does not matter in the least I have a mixed flock of Embden, Toulouse and American Buff and they are one big mob of thugs.
roll.png
My Embden who will be 9 yrs old in April is the worst he has ever been, and he never learns I grab him pin him down and he comes right back. Thank goodness my Toulouse gander only screams at me so far. I saw a recipe for goose stew this morning I told my dh I was going to put it on the wall in their house so Sam could see it. He knows I could never kill him although I have felt like it at times. [joking] I think everyone looks forward to mating season being over. lol

Quote: BB (Big Boy) still charges 4 years old, Embden gander. Head and neck down, sneak attacks! Then he realizes its me. He is so territorial but not the dominant gander. Any aggressive act gains training. BB and I have had several sit downs the last few years. Daylight hours he is eating from my hand. He is otherwise an awesome gander and very good to the goose hens. His favorite goose has an egg mountain now. No one dare go into that coop but me.

BB (Big Boy) still charges 4 years old, Embden gander. Head and neck down, sneak attacks! Then he realizes its me. He is so territorial but not the dominant gander. Any aggressive act gains training. BB and I have had several sit downs the last few years. Daylight hours he is eating from my hand. He is otherwise an awesome gander and very good to the goose hens. His favorite goose has an egg mountain now. No one dare go into that coop but me.
They sure keep you on their toes don't they. I have a gander Sam who wants to bite and flog me and one who screams at the top of his lungs and Hisses I stopped calling him Babe and call him Mr. Hissy.
hmm.png

Do any of you have wild geese that pass through? We have a 3-4 acre pond and we have a pair of Canadian geese we call the homers. They typically come and spend bit of time here with us in Texas over the winter months. Last year they actually built a nest but they did it by the driveway and the dogs found it and had eggs one day :(

Anyway, i've been thinking about getting some geese to have year round but I don't know if the wild bird would fight with my locals or would the locals chase off the homers?

Need some advice with goslings please ..

I have a 4/5week old pair of Pilgrim geese. I have promptly ordered Dave Holderread: A Book of Geese. ;)

I have a fenced in pasture area which I plan to be the designated geese grazing area due to my children being on the smaller/younger side and wanting everyone (both kiddos and geese) to be happy & safe, especially during breeding season.

I know I shouldn't be coddling the goslings, no hand feedings, close the beak shut with a firm "no!" if nibbling or biting occurs. Since the goslings are quite small and will be in the brooder at least a few more weeks, what interactions are acceptable? Should I be holding them? Petting? I know imprinting them onto humans is a "no no."

Also, when said geese are older and out grazing in designated pasture that is fenced in, how or do I, even correct negative behavior such as charging the fence, hissing, snaking, etc.? How would I follow through? Should I charge the fence, flapping my arms, etc? Or just ignore the negative behaviors, not showing any reaction since I can't follow through physically unless I climb over?

If I am supposed to nip this negative behavior, should I free range them from 10/12weeks up to a certain point so I can quickly nip bad behaviors than once they are older (6 months/ish) start putting them in the fenced area?

Thanks for the help!

Oh my goodness cuddle those lil ones while you can. My 2 older geese 10 yrs and 5 yrs were raised by their mamas, but 2 that I got at 2 days old we brooded in the house till they were 3 weeks old then gave them to the adults. We enjoyed so much having them with us they would nibble our clothing but were not aggressive at all. Normal behavior with goslings is try everything and since they haven't hands their bills do the job.

Once they move outside into pasture they will become protective of the area they live in so always be there when any interaction goes on between child and geese. But the geese need to learn to respect all humans they live with and children need to learn that teasing will bring consequences and geese don't forget when someone has not been nice to them, so training should start early. My gander is the one I have to watch but only during breeding season that is when hormones are at their highest. He will bite. But all these behaviors are pretty normal for geese you just have to let them know they are not to bite or grab or beat anyone with their wings. I understand Pilgrims are pretty laid back anyway so hopefully even though your gander will be protective maybe he won't carry it to extreme like my Embden does. If you noticed any aggression once they begin into puberty you can use a long pole or a bucket to keep him away from you or the kids. We use to have a great thread on gooes training but when the new BYC went into affect we lost a lot of good info. I am going to see if I can find that one.

Oh my goodness cuddle those lil ones while you can. My 2 older geese 10 yrs and 5 yrs were raised by their mamas, but 2 that I got at 2 days old we brooded in the house till they were 3 weeks old then gave them to the adults. We enjoyed so much having them with us they would nibble our clothing but were not aggressive at all. Normal behavior with goslings is try everything and since they haven't hands their bills do the job.

Once they move outside into pasture they will become protective of the area they live in so always be there when any interaction goes on between child and geese. But the geese need to learn to respect all humans they live with and children need to learn that teasing will bring consequences and geese don't forget when someone has not been nice to them, so training should start early. My gander is the one I have to watch but only during breeding season that is when hormones are at their highest. He will bite. But all these behaviors are pretty normal for geese you just have to let them know they are not to bite or grab or beat anyone with their wings. I understand Pilgrims are pretty laid back anyway so hopefully even though your gander will be protective maybe he won't carry it to extreme like my Embden does. If you noticed any aggression once they begin into puberty you can use a long pole or a bucket to keep him away from you or the kids. We use to have a great thread on gooes training but when the new BYC went into affect we lost a lot of good info. I am going to see if I can find that one.

Miss Lydia, a huge thank you! I was really hoping you would say to cuddle the goslings haha! ;) They are too cute not to! I just did not want to imprint and cause a huge problem in the future!

So, I should free range them out of the brooder and correct any negative behaviors immediately, just to confirm? This way they are learning the dos and don'ts and (hopefully) who to respect.

Ideally I would love for them to free range all day everyday but I know during breeding season, that will not happen as I can't risk my kiddos unintentionally bothering them when they will be on their "baddest behavior," so they will be fenced in. Is it okay to free range all the time except during breeding season?

Back
Top Bottom