GemmaGA: My Suburban Homestead/Self-Sufficiency Journey!

GemmaGA

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
NE Georgia (near Athens)
So we started with backyard chickens a couple years ago (it really is the gateway drug to farm life....don't ya know...)

About a year ago, we bought a new house on 4 acres. It's just on the edge of the suburbs out here in Northeast GA.

I love this house. It needs work, and it's a little dated on the inside but I love it and saw the potential it had from the very first moment I stepped inside.

I love this property. It's very wide open, already had a pretty sturdy pole barn and a workshop with running water, electricity etc.

When we first moved here, me and the hubs talked about growing our own food, and trying to figure out ways to be more self-sufficient.

This year, we just put up a greenhouse, I am getting ready to hatch about 20 chicken eggs (we have 7 hens already), and are practically starting a small orchard on our property with Apple and Fig trees initially.

Is this a homestead? To me, yes. It's my idea of my little farm in the middle of the suburbs and I have big plans for it! I named our little homestead - Center Hill Acres. I created a youtube channel to document our journey and an Instagram account also.

This may not be anyone else's idea of a homestead, but to me 'homesteading' is not just a thing...it's a state of mind. A sense of pride and a desire to create a more sustainable life for yourself and your family and I am so happy to be on this journey! I would love to hear any suggestions or ideas from other folks on similar journeys as this is pretty new to me.

If you want to follow the journey with me, I have a youtube channel: Center Hill Acres; I also have an instagram account: CHAFarmCharm. nothing on the Youtube channel yet, but working on it! The IG has a video of our new greenhouse, our tractor and a picture of the cool chick brooder the hubs built for me for my upcoming hatch!

Thanks for reading,
❤️ GemmaGA

Hello, there! It makes my heart happy to hear when others have found a home and place that speaks to them. Congrats! I just got started with chickens about two weeks ago, so when you mention them being the gateway drug to farm life, I have to chuckle. Within the past two weeks I've decided I want to get into vegetable gardening, have ordered my seeds and seed starting supplies, and am currently trying to figure out a simple raised bed configuration for our backyard. And not because I wanted fresh veggies for the family. No, I want to be able to feed our chickens yummy food! <facepalm> But the idea of having fresh tomatoes, spinach, and carrots for us to eat as well is starting to grow on me, too.

I started following you on Instagram and am super jealous of your brooder! It's gorgeous! :)

Hello, there! It makes my heart happy to hear when others have found a home and place that speaks to them. Congrats! I just got started with chickens about two weeks ago, so when you mention them being the gateway drug to farm life, I have to chuckle. Within the past two weeks I've decided I want to get into vegetable gardening, have ordered my seeds and seed starting supplies, and am currently trying to figure out a simple raised bed configuration for our backyard. And not because I wanted fresh veggies for the family. No, I want to be able to feed our chickens yummy food! <facepalm> But the idea of having fresh tomatoes, spinach, and carrots for us to eat as well is starting to grow on me, too.

I started following you on Instagram and am super jealous of your brooder! It's gorgeous! :)
Thanks for following me! I have a few other videos I haven't posted yet - hopefully this week!

Congrats on getting chickens!! It really is the gateway drug to farm life. :) I am very excited about my garden I am planning for this year, also have plans to grow stuff for my chickens, but also love the idea of providing fresh produce for my family!

Back
Top Bottom