Gender and Breed Quiz (For learning purposes!)

Pics
Just got home!
yesss.gif

Here are the pictures:

I think SLW wouldn't have a straight comb. I sure hope it's not a mix, as it came as part of the ornamental laying "hens" from McM and I passed on the free chick.
I have something in mind from some pics I saw on BYC, but this chick doesn't look quite like the breed I was thinking.

Ancona is the only breed I can come up with that has the black and white mottling, and yellow legs, but I wouldn't call them ornamental as they are supposed to be pretty good layers. On YouTube you can find McMurray Hatchery and see videos of all their different breeds as chicks so if you have a picture of her as a chick you should be able to find her on there.

Thanks, JaeG. It looked like an EE as a chick, except for the yellow legs. I've looked through the videos and also at feathersite. I'll take another look at Anconas.
I was thinking some sort of rare leghorn color bc of the big straight comb from an early age. It hasn't reddened, so I'm still hoping for a girl.

Ancona chicks are yellow and black, as are exchequer leghorns. It kind of looks like a duckwing/silver leghorn, if it was chipmunk striped as a chick, but I'd expect a pullet to have the salmon chest colour by now and a cockerel would have huge wattles and comb by 7 weeks old. Your baby is quite the little mystery!

Back
Top Bottom