Gender and Breed Quiz (For learning purposes!)

Pics
Nope, Wellies lay brown eggs. The gery-ish green was from a mixed breed bird. I'd been playing around with mixing EE and barred Rocks and Leghorns and that egg was one of my more unusual shades. My other Wellie had a more speckled egg.....
Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I know what egg welsummers lay (I have 2) I meant if the olive egg was produced with a welsummer, since I know a lot of people use that or a marans crossed with a blue egger to make green. I just was curious since I have welsummers and Ameraucana and was wondering what egg you would get if you crossed the two.

Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I know what egg welsummers lay (I have 2) I meant if the olive egg was produced with a welsummer, since I know a lot of people use that or a marans crossed with a blue egger to make green. I just was curious since I have welsummers and Ameraucana and was wondering what egg you would get if you crossed the two.
Okay I getcha now
smile.png

No, I didn't use any of my Wellies for an Olive egger cross. I had them back when that wasn't a thing like it is now. I think they'd make wonderful Olive Egger crosses. My issue with using Marans as the dark egger parent is first, the most common ones are black. I know you can get Wheaten, but black is by far the most common and the darkest eggs. Black is a pretty dominant color, so when you cross them you wind up with a bunch of black chicks. Some of us like more variety in feather color. Second, being a good heritage breed, they're not as productive as a hatchery Welsummer. That's a balance you have to ride between size/quality/production/rate of maturity. And third, the feathered legs are an issue for some of us who live in mud country.

Yet somehow I wound up with a flock of nice Marans hens and am considering keeping the breed as an ongoing project
th.gif

I think crossing the Welsummer hens and the Ameraucana rooster would give you very nice results.

Back
Top Bottom