Gender? Breed?

LP3113

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2022
The bigger tan one seems a bit bigger than the rest. Any input? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6028.jpeg
    IMG_6028.jpeg
    952.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    726.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6030.jpeg
    IMG_6030.jpeg
    863.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    792 KB · Views: 10
Barred rock and Easter Egger? The brown one does look bigger and has a bigger comb. How old are they? It seems too young to be able to tell. Maybe in a few weeks.
Hi, thank you for replying!
I was told barred rock & Easter. They are about 3 weeks old. I noticed the bigger comb and legs. When I pick him/her up- just feels bigger in the body as well. I wasn’t sure if it was possible for it to be a little older than the rest? Or if it’s possibly a rooster. I appreciate your response!

I was told barred rock & Easter. They are about 3 weeks old. I noticed the bigger comb and legs. When I pick him/her up- just feels bigger in the body as well. I wasn’t sure if it was possible for it to be a little older than the rest? Or if it’s possibly a rooster. I appreciate your response!
Of course! Where did you get them? I got some BR and EE’s yesterday from TSC. I’m not sure that that’s what they are, but yours look like mine. Granted, I think that mine are a week old… It could be older, but if you got them from the same place it’s unlikely.

If you have older birds and have a rooster, you can ignore this next thing- If it’s a rooster, that’s not exactly a bad thing. Roosters are good for many reason. Protecting hens, fertilizing eggs, warning about predators, showing them where to lay (which some hens decide to ignore) and alerting to food (which roosters find sticks wonderful 😂)

If you have older birds and don’t have a rooster, you could keep him and have him as the protector of your flock. Also ignore all of that if you can’t have Roos!

Edit: I’m pretty sure that mine are Easter eggers. I’m almost 100% sure that the others are BR’s. I have two EE’s and two BR’s out of my bunch.

I really hope that this helps. I’m sure that people who know more will be able to give you better thoughts and advice. I’m no breed eggspert. @bgmathteach, @rural mouse

Of course! Where did you get them? I got some BR and EE’s yesterday from TSC. I’m not sure that that’s what they are, but yours look like mine. Granted, I think that mine are a week old… It could be older, but if you got them from the same place it’s unlikely.

If you have older birds and have a rooster, you can ignore this next thing- If it’s a rooster, that’s not exactly a bad thing. Roosters are good for many reason. Protecting hens, fertilizing eggs, warning about predators, showing them where to lay (which some hens decide to ignore) and alerting to food (which roosters find sticks wonderful 😂)

If you have older birds and don’t have a rooster, you could keep him and have him as the protector of your flock. Also ignore all of that if you can’t have Roos!

Edit: I’m pretty sure that mine are Easter eggers. I’m almost 100% sure that the others are BR’s. I have two EE’s and two BR’s out of my bunch.

I really hope that this helps. I’m sure that people who know more will be able to give you better thoughts and advice. I’m no breed eggspert. @bgmathteach, @rural mouse

I really appreciate all of your input! I did go to several TS’s to get what I wanted in one stop. I was told 2 barred rock - the black ones and 2 Easters.

It’s interesting because the smaller easter egger is significantly smaller than the others! 😆 It’s an interesting bunch I got.

I do have older hens. I’m definitely not opposed to adding a rooster. Our 12 year old golden retriever acts as our rooster now.
Thanks again for all the info!

Back
Top Bottom