Gender? Buff Orps, EEs and Cochin and a ??? LOTs of Pics!!!

Ah man - well I hope there are more girls than 3 out of the 9 there. All of these were "sexed to be pullets"... I obviously do not know how to pick them if most of them are roosters.

I appreciate all of the responses. I am thinking those 2 BO's are roo's too, but I'm going to hold out some hope for the otheres.

I got 4 BO's thinking we'd keep 2 - but with the 4th one being a leghorn and 2 roos, I'm down to one. I also hope my only cochin will end up being a girl. Hubby is not going to let me start over with a new batch, so let's hope a couple more are girls.

I'll update you as the weeks go by.

Like I said in my original reply, they ALL look like pullets to me...I don't see a one that I am even questioning is a cockerel. The white leghorn will have a bigger comb, but the hens have huge combs anyway....

Thanks for giving me hope! It's hard to raise babies and get to know them only to have to part with them. We knew we would have to part with a few of them... even half, but not 6! It's so hard to be patient to find out for sure, and I thank all of you for chiming in!

The leghorn you will have to tell completely by the feathers because the females will have HUGE combs and waddles and they will be very, very red.

I was really concerned that one of my leghorns was a cockerel because she was bigger than the other and comb and waddles were bigger and more red.

It turned out they were both pullets and the larger one with the darker/larger combs/waddles started to lay earlier and lays bigger eggs (and believe me, that's saying something)
ep.gif

I would wait until their feathers are in a little better before you worry too much. You'll probably have the hardest time telling with the EEs since they all look ssoooo different! People don't believe ours are even the same "breed"
hu.gif

Best of luck
fl.gif

The leghorn is almost for sure a girl unless it pinks up soon.. Even my girls had bigger combs than that by 5 weeks!
smile.png
The brown EE's are most likely girls also, I am guessing boy on the white one.

here is one of mine at four weeks. This turned out to be a girl.

CIMG0736.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know! The white ee had the biggest head when I got them... it just looked so cute, but maybe I should have thought bigger head = potential rooster.

Back
Top Bottom