Gender for Appenzeller Spitzhauben 6 week old

I see nothing that would indicate cockerel as of right now. The pointed hackle feathers don't really point to male or female. And male specific saddle feathers wouldn't be coming in yet. So its still a waiting game, but at 9 weeks cockerel should be showing signs of wattles growing in. I'm still saying pullets as of now.

Here is a better body picture. It is hard to take pictures of birds that keep moving!

20180706_100354.jpg

I am in love with this breed so I hope both are female! They are so pretty but they also seem a lot more calm than I expected. From their size and look, I was expecting a very flighty crazy bird, but they are pretty mellow.

I've raised them for about 7 years now and I get flighty ones now and then but they are usually fairly docile. It seem to be the roosters that are more flighty than hens.

My vote is for pullets. Usually (with mine) I can tell as soon as the crest starts to come in. I read somewhere a while back that pullets usually come in at a solid black or close to it at first. This is true of mine. Mine also get their tails first and they are always very square like yours. Cockerels tails tend to curl down. Another trait I noticed in mine this year is the nostrils. The boys have a higher more triangular nare area whereas the girls have a more elongated beak - almost snout like.

Back
Top Bottom