Gender for EE Straight Runs?

FMAFarms

Songster
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Rural Michigan
Eight weeks ago, we bought a trio of EE chicks from a TSC bin labels "Ameraucanas - Straight Run." Well, we figured they were Easter Eggers. What we didn't figure was their gender. There's been lots of posturing, neck-biting, back-climbing, and other antics in our big brooder these past few days, and while I know that there's position jockeying between males, between females, and between males and females, these three are not acting the way we were thinking they'd act. Usually, #2 does the little face-off dances with another one of our chicks, while #1 and #3 face off against each other. As of yesterday, #2 has been chasing after #3, trying to climb #3's back and nip at #3's neck. #3 tries to run and hide, while #2 tries to not watch. #2 also recently chased around a re-introduced pullet after she'd been gone a week to solve her picking issues.

I'd appreciate your input as to which of these are roos and which are girls. Thanks!

#1 - Eggbert (named by our 7 year old)

80397_eggbertstw072011.jpg

#2 - Blazekin (named by our 18 year old)

80397_blazestw06b2011.jpg

#3 - Barbra (named by me)

80397_barbrastw072011.jpg

Edited because I put Blaze's picture up twice instead of Barbra's.

Last edited:
think you posted the same pic for 2 and 3 there....

#1 defintaly roo #2 id say is a roo too.......

edit - ah ha the 3rd pic is changed...but id say roo for that one too sorry
sad.png

Last edited:
All three of those are cockerels, I would imagine that someone already picked through the EE bin and got out the females and that is what was left. *Generally* you can tell by the color, males have that mish-matched splotchy coloring, plus they all have big pink combs.

No question... every single one of them are Cockerels. Not only do they all have typical cockerel color, but their combs are very red and very pronounced.

I'm saying roos too. My female EEs didn't red up by that age. They got a little more color after they started laying.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I've had my little cry and have spoken to my husband, and we will be selling Blaziken and Barbra. Eggbert is our 7 year old's chick and he'd be heartbroken to lose him, so we'll keep him. I'm very sad -- I raised them all from day-old chicks, th come when thy see me approach, eat from my hand, love being cuddled. Sigh. If anyone lives in southeast Michigan and would like one or two lovable, 8-week-old EE roo chicks, please message me!

Back
Top Bottom