Gender guessing for cross breeds!

CaroCarrots

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2023
I’ve learned so much about sexing on this forum and am wondering if anyone would be willing to weigh in with their gender guesses! Since these are breed crosses (two with Silkie) I know they’re going to be difficult. All four were hatched in the coop under a pair of silkies and are being raised well by them. THANK YOU in advance for any guesses!

Ok, so— the chicks are about 5 weeks old, born about a day apart lettered (and named) in hatch order. (So A is 5 weeks old and D closer to four) A & B are black sexlink rooster x silver ameracauna; C & D are same roo with a white silkie mom and a grey silkie mom.

I put my guesses at the bottom, which are mostly based on feather growth and demeanor. I also looked at their wing shape at ~1 week and the ones I think may be Roos had only a partial second layer of wing feathers while maybe-pullets had two full rows. Not sure if that’s a valid method for these crosses though.
IMG_9366.jpeg

IMG_9418.jpeg

IMG_9415.jpeg

Adi face and tail

IMG_9434.jpeg

IMG_9435.jpeg

IMG_9376.jpeg

Badriah face and tail

IMG_9422.jpeg

IMG_9421.jpeg

IMG_9353.jpeg
Chibi
how cute is C? Chibi is a Japanese word meaning a cute small animal or person
IMG_9429.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

IMG_9356.jpeg
Darcy

My guesses are A: cockerel, B: pullet, C: cockerel, D: pullet

What do you think? Thank you for your guesses!

Last edited:
A looks like a pullet. B looks like a cockerel. Not sure about the rest! They are all really cute!
Awesome thank you! That’s two guesses that contradict my guess for A and B, which is helping me keep an open mind about them. We have thankfully found a home already for whichever of them turns out to be a Roo, but I don’t think I’ll be able to part with either of the silkie crosses. I guess this is how chicken math starts! 😅

I’ve learned so much about sexing on this forum and am wondering if anyone would be willing to weigh in with their gender guesses! Since these are breed Tutuapp 9Apps crosses (two with Silkie) I know they’re going to be difficult. All four were hatched in the coop under a pair of silkies and are being raised well by them. THANK YOU in advance for any guesses!

Ok, so— the chicks are about 5 weeks old, born about a day apart lettered (and named) in hatch order. (So A is 5 weeks old and D closer to four) A & B are black sexlink rooster x silver ameracauna; C & D are same roo with a white silkie mom and a grey silkie mom.

I put my guesses at the bottom, which are mostly based on feather growth and demeanor. I also looked at their wing shape at ~1 week and the ones I think may be Roos had only a partial second layer of wing feathers while maybe-pullets had two full rows. Not sure if that’s a valid method for these crosses though.
View attachment 3618104
View attachment 3618083
View attachment 3618084

Adi face and tail

View attachment 3618086
View attachment 3618087
View attachment 3618120
Badriah face and tail

View attachment 3618088
View attachment 3618089
View attachment 3618113Chibi
how cute is C? Chibi is a Japanese word meaning a cute small animal or person
View attachment 3618090
View attachment 3618091
View attachment 3618105Darcy

My guesses are A: cockerel, B: pullet, C: cockerel, D: pullet

What do you think? Thank you for your guesses!
they looks so cute especially the orange one XD

Back
Top Bottom