Gender help

The red one with the yellow shanks are production RIR, and they all seems to me as cockerels,( the one in the 2# could be a pullet) maybe if you will post more pics, I could give you a better, answer. The others I can't tell the bride, bot they are also cockerel.

It's so hot they don't want to move around. Ill try to get better pics this evening when the temps drop and they're active. I'm guessing the barred one is hen?

I know I'm going against the crowd here, but....... It looks to me like you have 3 cockerels and 2 pullets.

In your video, the red bird missing the feathers on the back of her head is definitely a pullet. The other three are cockerels.

Breed-wise, one of the cocks (the one in the center of pic 1 and 4) looks like a mix, likely at least three breeds going on there. He's real pretty! The rest are Production Reds, aka Rhode Island Reds.

In your pics, the black and white barred chicken is definitely a pullet. Breed-wise, she's a Barred Rock.

Some cock is very rough when he mates, hence the feathers missing from the backs of your pullet's heads. Just in case you're wondering why they're both missing their feathers there, that's why................ The suggested rooster/hen ratio is 1:10, or else the hens can be injured from over-mating. Plus they'll lay less, or even not at all, from the stress of being kept with too many roosters. So if it were me, I'd get rid of all the cockerels, or if you really want to keep one of them, get another 8 or more pullets or hens for him, to help spread out his attentions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom