Gender Identification Assistance? EEs *ALL SET NOW!*

MaineiacJay

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
Thanks to everyone for their help! it turns out i have 3 girls and 5 boys! anybody want a rooster in NH, VT, ME or MA? lol keeping the orange/white, and the big gray/black/red boy =P

so i just got 8 Easter Egger chickens, and i am completely new to chickens, never owned one in my life. anyways, they are around 14 weeks old now, or at least, that was what i was told by the person i got them from. i was aiming to get 7 hens and 1 rooster, but i dont think i achieved that. i sit out there with them for a bit every day and i keep wondering how many roosters i really have. i am positive one is a rooster, but others im not sure about, i question them, but i really have no idea. so hopefully you guys here can help me. i dont have pictures of them all individually, but ill work on that tomorrow. but here is one i question, ill post the others tomorrow. thanks in advanced!

totally new to the forums too. been stalking for a while and just decided to join, so youll be seeing more of me!

Last edited:
The splashes of color (darker red) in the wings and what appears to be saddle feathers from the picture would have me say it's a roo.

Also, The larger "rear-end" running out of the picture to the left with all the red in it's wings is likely a roo as well, as that color generally is, but more pictures of the whole bird would help.

EEs are sometimes hard to sex, I have one listed on the forums now that I'm not sure about and I've had chickens and Ameraucana/Easter Eggers off and on for over 15 years.

Post some more pics though...

yeah, im going to get pictures of each bird tomorrow. we are in the process of building their coop and we just got them a bigger area this weekend so i havent gotten the chance. the few pictures i have are from the first few days they were here.

i was hoping the orange one was just a hen with a large tail lol. and yes, that one to the left is definitely a rooster. he is a beast! he is the one i am positive is a rooster =P

thanks for your reply! ill post individual pictures tomorrow but i had a good one of this one, so i figured i would post it.

ah hey, i found another picture of a questionable chicken. i know one is a rooster, as stated, then the orange one posted, this one, and 2 others i think may be a rooster - thats my luck! ive been saying since i brought them home that they are probably all roosters! and im not familiar with chicken swaps or how those work... i really only want one rooster, maybe 2.. guess ill have to figure it out! anybody know of anywhere in NH that holds chicken swaps?

this isnt an awesome picture, but hopefully it will suffice for now. regardless, ill still get pictures of them all tomorrow =)

thanks again for answering so quickly. thats helpful! im very new to chickens

ah hey, i found another picture of a questionable chicken. i know one is a rooster, as stated, then the orange one posted, this one, and 2 others i think may be a rooster - thats my luck! ive been saying since i brought them home that they are probably all roosters! and im not familiar with chicken swaps or how those work... i really only want one rooster, maybe 2.. guess ill have to figure it out! anybody know of anywhere in NH that holds chicken swaps?

this isnt an awesome picture, but hopefully it will suffice for now. regardless, ill still get pictures of them all tomorrow =)

thanks again for answering so quickly. thats helpful! im very new to chickens

Every bird in this photo is a cockerel, with the possible exception of the one in the lower right corner--the black and white one. Even the one that is just a tail running out of the frame is a cockerel. Sorry.

When it comes to chicken swaps and auctions, you really need to know what you're looking at. Those places are definitely buyer beware.

Last edited:
The white one in question is a cockerel, and at least two maybe three others are as well (The red and black, the white and blk with all the splashes in its wings facing away) and probably the one who you can only see the tail on the far left. The two white and blk on the far left and far right,

I reserve judgement on until I see good photos, but of the six you have in this photo, you've got three or four boys at least.

meh, the guy i bought them from didnt know their genders either, he was just selling the remaining younger chickens after a mink got in his coop. they were cheap so im not going to complain much. plus, ive been saying since i brought them home that with my luck, they will all be roosters! so really, im not surprised haha!

anyways, here are some better pictures of all of them.
1 i think is a rooster
2 i think is a hen
3 i think is a rooster
4 im not sure
5 is definitely a rooster
6 i think is probably a rooster
7 is a rooster
8 i think is probably a rooster

see my luck? lol glad i take things in stride!

Oh, those are MUCH better photos! We can work with this, LOL

I think you are right with the exception of #3, which MIGHT be a hen. #4 is 100% cockerel.
meh, the guy i bought them from didnt know their genders either, he was just selling the remaining younger chickens after a mink got in his coop. they were cheap so im not going to complain much. plus, ive been saying since i brought them home that with my luck, they will all be roosters! so really, im not surprised haha!

anyways, here are some better pictures of all of them.
1 i think is a rooster
2 i think is a hen
3 i think is a rooster
4 im not sure
5 is definitely a rooster
6 i think is probably a rooster
7 is a rooster
8 i think is probably a rooster

see my luck? lol glad i take things in stride!

Back
Top Bottom