Gender of baby silkie

silkiesoft

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 24, 2017
Hi there guys!
This is the baby silkie hand raised after my sister mistakenly incubated a silkie egg while trying to incubate guinea fowl.
It’s about 6-8weeks old. I’m thinking it’s a male as the hair on the top of its head is more combed back.
but if possible I’d like more of an opinion from others as I’m not too good at this.
Also what are people’s thoughts on integrating a younger chick with older ones? My younger one is terrified of the older ones and only comes out behind the plants while I’m there. How can I help it?
885F6197-438D-4C05-9571-7DBB6313DDF1.jpeg

Attachments

• 4FD0077E-6E7F-42D2-88EB-A1B9F70A95EA.jpeg
    4FD0077E-6E7F-42D2-88EB-A1B9F70A95EA.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 8A2BF39A-DB64-417C-8681-FA5D20A9AD70.jpeg
    8A2BF39A-DB64-417C-8681-FA5D20A9AD70.jpeg
    849.6 KB · Views: 5
Silkies are difficult to sex, especially at this age, but yours does look like a pullet. There are no wattles and really no comb either. Once older ( couple of months), you should see streamers coming off the top of the head for males.

As for integration, a see-no-touch barrier system may help her feel more comfortable. A dog crate or chicken tractor set out in the run or a cat carrier inside the coop at night. This way the other chickens can come up snd check her out and she won't get hurt. Getting a similarly aged buddy would also help. Then she would have someone to hang out with during integration.

Silkies are difficult to sex, especially at this age, but yours does look like a pullet. There are no wattles and really no comb either. Once older ( couple of months), you should see streamers coming off the top of the head for males.

As for integration, a see-no-touch barrier system may help her feel more comfortable. A dog crate or chicken tractor set out in the run or a cat carrier inside the coop at night. This way the other chickens can come up snd check her out and she won't get hurt. Getting a similarly aged buddy would also help. Then she would have someone to hang out with during integration.
Thank you! I never thought about that as I’ve never really had issues with silkies integrating before.

Back
Top Bottom