Gender of three week old ameraucanas?

peopleRanimals2

Songster
Jun 30, 2015
Rhode Island
I know that you probably won't be able to tell, but I was wondering about these 3- we are not allowed to keep Roos in RI. :( PS sorry for the photography.

Fern:

Bea:

Tiger:

Please tell me if this is doable, and if I need better photos. Thanks!

Last edited:
It is to young to sex accurately, I don't see any signs of it being a cockerel yet. I would post again when they are 5 weeks or older, also when you do can you get a good pictures of the comb also.

They all look like pullets to me, but I might be wrong. If you can get a picture of each of their combs then we can be more sure. 1 row of peas means it is a pullet. 3 rows of peas means a cockerel. Also your chicks are gorgeous!
Good luck :),
henny1129

It turns out to be very hard to take a specific picture of a chick! She looks to have a single comb.
I will post pictures of the others after I have some treats :)

The 3 row=cockerel and 1 row= pullet isn't always accurate. It is most of the time but PLEASE don't just look at a small 3 row comb that isn't pink or red or plump when they are older and assume that its a cockerel.

The 3 row=cockerel and 1 row= pullet isn't always accurate. It is most of the time but PLEASE don't just look at a small 3 row comb that isn't pink or red or plump when they are older and assume that its a cockerel.

I definetly won't just be giving them away based on their combs. Thank you, and since my other girls are not as photogenic as Tiger, I think that I will just have to judge myself, in order to not stress them out too much. Thanks for all of your input, and I will post more pictures around 5 weeks. :D

Thanks for waiting! Hope someone sees this. 7 wks, and outside. This is my 1st time with chickens, so I really can't tell if they are boy or girl. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom