Gender?

jab2you

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Anahuac Texas

Okay...so the wind is just ruffling the feathers vs. those are frizzled feathers.

Mom is a RSL with dad either a BCM (?) or Ameraucana/EE (?)...so you've got barnyard mixes (great birds, hardy and good layers).

As to gender...age is really important...I only threw out a guess.

My barnyards mature faster than my pure breeds, so they can fool you (I once gave away a fast maturing barnyard female because I thought she was going to be a roo...she laid at 14 weeks!)...but I'm still thinking those could be roo's...I really need to know the age.

Also, were they broody hatched or heat lamp brooded, as that can make a big difference too as to how quickly they develop. You've also got them developing in the lengthening daylight, which I find my winter hatches, naturally brooded, causes the hens to mature more quickly too...all that to give hope that they may be hens developing quickly...but those combs are pointing to roo's if they are about 4 weeks of age, but I wouldn't plan them for the soup pot yet with the parameters above.

LofMc

They are incubator babies.
About 3-4 weeks.
Yes it's the wind.
Heat lamp and light.
Now more out at sun up and put away at sun down.

Okay...so the wind is just ruffling the feathers vs. those are frizzled feathers.

Mom is a RSL with dad either a BCM (?) or Ameraucana/EE (?)...so you've got barnyard mixes (great birds, hardy and good layers).

As to gender...age is really important...I only threw out a guess.

My barnyards mature faster than my pure breeds, so they can fool you (I once gave away a fast maturing barnyard female because I thought she was going to be a roo...she laid at 14 weeks!)...but I'm still thinking those could be roo's...I really need to know the age.

Also, were they broody hatched or heat lamp brooded, as that can make a big difference too as to how quickly they develop. You've also got them developing in the lengthening daylight, which I find my winter hatches, naturally brooded, causes the hens to mature more quickly too...all that to give hope that they may be hens developing quickly...but those combs are pointing to roo's if they are about 4 weeks of age, but I wouldn't plan them for the soup pot yet with the parameters above.

LofMc
x2

Back
Top Bottom