general geese qs.

beefmaster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 17, 2012
ok ive been out of the loop for a few years an i have some qs.1.do geese need gamebird feed as they are growing or reg chick starter feed.im pretty sure its the gamebird feed.2.i know they can not swin till they have all their down feathers an are feathered out.im thinking about brooding them in a water trough.but im not sure on that yet.an i dont know how hard they are to raise.will prolly order 5 gooses an 3 ganders.i havent decided on what breeds.i want them to eat grass an to enjoy them.any thoughts an other ideas.was thinking bout using them to weed the garden.but dont know if its a good idea.

ok ive been out of the loop for a few years an i have some qs.1.do geese need gamebird feed as they are growing or reg chick starter feed.im pretty sure its the feed.

To high of protein will contribute to angel wing. We start them on chick starter for a few weeks, and then get them onto an all purpose poultry feed, with grazing n grass. They grow so fast if over fed.

2.i know they can not swin till they have all their down feathers an are feathered out.im thinking about brooding them in a water trough.but im not sure on that yet.an i dont know how hard they are to raise.will prolly order 5 gooses an 3 ganders.i havent decided on what breeds.i want them to eat grass an to enjoy them.any thoughts an other ideas.was thinking bout using them to weed the garden.but dont know if its a good idea.

We try to keep them dry until they get some good size to them, 6 weeks or so, then pool time it is. As far as weeding goes, I think it is a bit touchy depending on what you have in your gardens, they do stick mostly to grass, but I wouldn't trust them with anything you really want. As far as breeds, it really depends on personal taste. We have 4 breeds, and like them each for their own reasons. Probably lean towards the Buff Americans as our favorite at the moment, although that can change at any time.

Geese are wonderful, enjoy them!

thanks for answering the feed q for me as my thinking was wrong.i want to learn as much about them as i can.do/can they fly over a 4ft fence when grown.my neighbor has a 2ac pool an i dont know if i want them swimming in it or with his geese.

I also have a question are Buffs good at flying meaning will I have to clip wings or do they grow to be to heavy to even fly? I Have Scobies right now and they have to have there wings always clipped they love to try to fly.

Back
Top Bottom