general muscovie info ? (pic heavy)

jarvis

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
potosi
new to the scovies and have some questions =)

when do they lay ?

how many males should I have to females ratio ?

well .. basicly tell me anything you know or have found out about them =)
I love their personalities <3

thanks in advance
here is some of mine

blue laced drake

delphin my hen

a couple hens

this is marduk he likes the pools more than any other =)

little hen

the black and the blue girls

white drake with blue eyes -brizo

hen

hen

a blue hen and im actually undecided on the blacks gender ? HELP

the blue drake again

ducky rainbow

here the one im unsure of is again ??

(its at the front with its head turned in this pic others are girls)

my chocolate drake <3

when do they lay ?

Varies definitely depends on when they were hatched, i have had some come into lay as young as 4mths but average is likely more in the 5-8mths range. They are seasonal, most of mine cease in October and resume in Feb but that depends too lol weather can affect that timing.

how many males should I have to females ratio ?

Generally 2-3 ducks per drake is the given ratio for any mixed sexed flock... that said it massively varies again on the birds, your set-up etc. I have read before scovies like larger flocks.. cannot really give much input on whether they do or not, i started years ago with 4.. and the numbers rise and fall each year... depending on the clutches and whom i keep.

We have a ton of threads on them here, generally speaking. The main things about them, they are not mallard derived, the fly well(tho most mature drakes no longer can due to size) have massive claws that they do use to climb with i have watched young ones in days of age climb up things.

They are not as waterproofed as mallard derived ducks so while many do enjoy water they are not capable of the hours of it like most ducks and will ice up in winter...they are like the rabbits of the ducks world, the females are massive setters, basically to compare to chickens they are like silkies and will set several clutches a year if allowed, they are also documented with research for their fly catching capabilities, awesome foragers and are considered the best of the best when it comes to meat.

Despite my dabbling in other breeds, i still mainly keep Muscovy, a good all 'round farm duck with multiple purposes.

Back
Top Bottom