general questions about mixing and culling

lehouseofdog

Chirping
Jun 4, 2016
richmond va
I have a new set of babies and a few older that are ready to go outside. My question is when can I put them in with an older hen? And the second question is about that hen and her rooster. They are from my first set of eggs this spring when I wasn't sure I wanted to get into quail - turns out I did. They are very skittish, VERY skittish. They don't like to be handled, panic easily, bounce around in the cage like they are going to die when I go to catch them, trade out their dust bath or food bowl or even change out their water.

I've been very careful with the new ones, making sure I handle them a lot and so far they aren't skittish at all. They tolerate being handled very well and don't constantly try to escape my hands like the older pair. Should I cull the older pair (really give them to a friend with an aviary along with some of the 4 week olds I'm not keeping). I hesitate to do it because the hen is a good layer. They are just so **** skittish, I'm afraid that will rub off on the new ones.

Should I just say goodbye to these two? It's really no fun trying to handle them

Thanks, I will. By good layer, I mean she was/is consistent. I had another hen who was a nicer hen but she would not lay consistently. So Thank you. I am going to keep a couple more of this set of babies and then give away both of them today.

Back
Top Bottom