General questions & Breeding EEs

harrellkd

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Mountains of North Carolina
Ok. So this is my first time having more than two chickens, trying to hatch anything, having a rooster......basically I'm a newbie. I have 4 EE hens, 2 RIR, and one Millie Fleur hen. I have an EE rooster, a production red rooster, and a bantam rooster.

My first question is, I know I have too many roosters, but what is the major risk of keeping them all? And, how do I know which one to keep? I know NOTHING about breeding, coloration, etc. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the three roosters...

I think the biggest problem if you keep all those boys is stress to your hens. You barely have enough for one boy, let alone three. They will start over breeding you girls. The stress of constantly dodging three roosters could stop your girls from laying. You don't need to keep any of the boys, but if you want to, only keep the one that doesn't show any aggression at all. By 16 to 20 weeks old, cockerels usually start to show their true personalities. If one starts to get aggressive to the point of constantly starting fights with the other two, he needs to go. If one decides that humans are evil and won't let you do basic chores around the coop without attacking you, he needs to go. It all comes down to temperament. A nice rooster that respects your space and takes care of his flock is a valuable asset.

Thanks! @junebuggena I would like to keep one.....I just don't know which one would be the best choice! At this point they are all friendly. The production red is probably the friendliest.....

They are all still young. Friendly towards people isn't always a good thing when it comes to roosters. You don't want a boy that doesn't get out of your way. If he doesn't respect your space as a youngster, it doesn't bode well once the hormones start raging. A boy that willingly jumps up into your lap as a chick could become a rooster that thinks nothing of jumping up to spur you.

Back
Top Bottom