Generations to breed

Studabird

Songster
May 8, 2020
Southwest Louisiana
If I have two breeds of chickens and I really like the offspring of said hybrid. On average how many generations of cross breeding and then breeding the cross until I get a breed that is true?

It depends on what traits you require in your breed and how many were shared by the two parent breeds. Also, whether those traits are controlled by dominant or recessive genes. Also whether those genes are modified by other genes - and whether those are dominant or recessive.

Besides how diligent you are with keeping everyone correctly identified. And how diligent you are in tracking the results of breeding (by sibling lines as well as direct lines in some cases involving recessive genes). Possibly, also how easily the relevant traits are to identify - comb shape would be easier than non-broody, for example)

Also how many birds you are working with.

All those together mean from a single generation (maybe) to many, many generations.

What breeds are you thinking about and what traits are required to be set? (Out of curiosity; I probably can't help with specifics very much)

Back
Top Bottom