Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, What will I get if I cross Chocolate Orpington Hens with:::

Either Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster

Or Gold Laced Rooster

Or Blue Laced a Rooster

Or Splash Laced.

Would all chicks for sure be laced? What colours? Sex linked chicks?

Thanks in advanced..

No offspring from the first cross would be laced. A back-cross to the laced father would produce laced chicks. Remember that Chocolate is sex-linked, so the cockerels from the cross would be chocolate carriers, but not showing chocolate, and the hens would be black (or blue), without chocolate genes.

This genetic calculator is fun to play around with to find the possible results of crossing.

No offspring from the first cross would be laced. A back-cross to the laced father would produce laced chicks. Remember that Chocolate is sex-linked, so the cockerels from the cross would be chocolate carriers, but not showing chocolate, and the hens would be black (or blue), without chocolate genes.

This genetic calculator is fun to play around with to find the possible results of crossing.

Hmm, interesting, as I have a friend that was just playing around with birds wanting to produce a good broody bird with size but fast growth and good egg layer and Colored egg.

So she first crossed blue frizzled silkie Rooster over BBS Easter egger hens. Then that offspring she crossed with a splashed laced Wyandotte rooster. People are sending her pictures back of laced offspring.

That is why I assumed the would be laced, just was not sure on colours.....

Regarding colour, it depends on what base the chocolate hens have, which is impossible to tell really as they have black (diluted to choc) covering up their groundcolour. The silver laced cockerel would produce silver based offspring, males one copy silver, one copy of the hen's groundcolour, females, one copy silver. The other three ought to produce gold based offspring.

To get true, defined lacing, a bird will need two copies of the relevant genes. Since Easter-eggers are mixes themselves, and sizzles are still a work-in-progress as a breed, there could be genetics hiding that would be useful in producing a partially laced bird. I hatched two partially laced pullets this year from parents who show no lacing; sometimes the genetics line up nicely.

Regarding colour, it depends on what base the chocolate hens have, which is impossible to tell really as they have black (diluted to choc) covering up their groundcolour. The silver laced cockerel would produce silver based offspring, males one copy silver, one copy of the hen's groundcolour, females, one copy silver. The other three ought to produce gold based offspring.

To get true, defined lacing, a bird will need two copies of the relevant genes. Since Easter-eggers are mixes themselves, and sizzles are still a work-in-progress as a breed, there could be genetics hiding that would be useful in producing a partially laced bird. I hatched two partially laced pullets this year from parents who show no lacing; sometimes the genetics line up nicely.

So chicks being that in ground colours means what for coloring. Because if I understand you correct it can mean nothing...as it is hidden. Like the chocolates is.

I was kind of hoping for a Dunn type color, like lighter brown, or a lighter blue grey.

But yes, my friend said her Easter Eggers are Ameracuana crossed with her purebred silkies.
Plus some the hens were pure Ameracuana.

Some chicks are turning into partial laced, others Laced quite nicely ☺️

Ok, so a chicken can have silver or gold groundcolour (cockerels can also be both at once). If you look at a silver laced wyandotte and a gold laced wyandotte, they are essentially the same, apart from the ground-colour. When you eventually get laced birds in future progeny, the ground colour would be showing, for example, as a chocolate laced silver bird.

Orpingtons are Sex-linked chocolate, which is recessive and a different gene to the Chocolate (usually called Dun) that is incomplete dominant.
In dun, one copy makes a chocolate coloured bird, two makes khaki, working on similar principles to the blue gene.

You will get a mutt, once you cross all bets are off , you can not prove a breed until you can show several generations of like breeding like coming up with like . By the way there is nothing wrong with a mutt.

You will get a mutt, once you cross all bets are off , you can not prove a breed until you can show several generations of like breeding like coming up with like . By the way there is nothing wrong with a mutt.

Yes, no I this case I am wanting to get a mutt, just somethingcute and different to offer, fully open about the cross. Was hoping a somewhat laced type bird in maybe light brown dun type color or light silver blue as I thought the lacing would be dominant.

So now since it seem like I might just get more solid blue or black fluffy chicks that is not changing much.

So what if a black Ameracuana over Chocolate Orpingtons hens.
What if the Black Ameracuana cries a lavender gene? So two possible Ameracuana I could cross with. It would be neat to have big fluff balls with fluffy cheeks, especially brown or better yet Dunn.

I have crossed many chicks before, year previously, but not control so I was not sure which pure breeds Crossed to get the cute unique chicks. I could guess but not know for sure. Now I want to attempt some bit of control, knowing it won't fully be...

I believe Lavender and Chocolate together make Mauve. You'd need your bird to have two copies of lavender and two (if male) or one (if female) copy of chocolate to express as a mauve bird, though, as they are both recessive genes.

As I said before, Dun is a different gene to Sex-linked Chocolate, and can be found in Wyandottes I believe, but not Orpingtons. I have been trying to find it here in the UK to add to my flock and can only find game birds with the dun gene.

Black is possibly the most dominant gene on the E-locus, and lavender/chocolate are both modifiers of black. If you want a bird that isn't entirely black or a dilution of black, you'll need to work with a pattern that lets the ground-colour show through. This can be found in your Wyandottes, as you can see the silver and gold ground-colours through the pattern.

Back
Top Bottom