Genetic defect?

steaknegger

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2016
momence, IL
The photo on the left shows two blue laced red Wyandotte chicks that hatched within a day or two of each other approximately a month ago. We had two hatchlings out of this batch of eggs that did not grow, feather much or thrive. About 2 weeks ago one of these stunted chicks was found dead in the brooder. We separated this one from the others as they got bigger because we were sure trampling and picking was sure to occur. Both stunted chicks were splay legged. This chick's legs are doing better after three and a half weeks of a rubber band brace around its ankles. It wasn't until we moved it in with some new ducklings we acquired, that it really started walking about properly. The ducklings are sweet, they don't bully her, and she snuggles up amongst them nightly. I have no hopes for this chicks long-term survival, we are just giving it it's best chance for a good short life. I'm keeping chickens for about 4 years I have 50 in all, I've been breeding for about 3 years. These chicks are hatched from eggs we purchased from a farm up north. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience like this with chicks that did not grow.
20190811_102224.jpg

This chick could barely stand 3 weeks ago and was splay legged. Now it is strong, and springs Instantly to its feet when held on its back. She is doing well with the ducklings. Maybe even growing a bit now, hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom