Genetic help needed to breed my ideal EE

So how do you think Crusoe was made Welsummer hen and EE roo??
No.
YES!! I had 2 Danish Brown Leghorn hens this summer. Why?
I don't know what a Danish Brown Leghorn is, but I'll assume it's the same as any brown Leghorn. It's all coming together... I think a brown Leghorn is your culprit. Your EE has the mahogany gene (and clearly at least one copy of duckwing.)
A Welsummer genotype looks like this eeMhMh
Your EE's genotype could be eeMHMH, ewheMhMh, eeMhmh, or eewhMhmh. Plus the blue gene.
Your brown Leghorn's genotype would be eemhmh.
Crusoe's genotype is eeMhmh. So she has a nearly identical genotype to a Welsummer, even though she's not related. Crusoe is half Leghorn.

No.

I don't know what a Danish Brown Leghorn is, but I'll assume it's the same as any brown Leghorn. It's all coming together... I think a brown Leghorn is your culprit. Your EE has the mahogany gene (and clearly at least one copy of duckwing.)
A Welsummer genotype looks like this eeMhMh
Your EE's genotype could be eeMHMH, ewheMhMh, eeMhmh, or eewhMhmh. Plus the blue gene.
Your brown Leghorn's genotype would be eemhmh.
Crusoe's genotype is eeMhmh. So she has a nearly identical genotype to a Welsummer, even though she's not related. Crusoe is half Leghorn.
Well that is absolutely fascinating!! I would not have guessed it- but
she is a great forager, always out first, farthest etc.. like the leghorns were... and a consistent layer. So those are great traits! Thank you!.
If I want more like her, can I breed her to an EE? Is her colouring dominant? Does she still have the white egg gene to pass on, or is it now only blue egg gene? I wouldn't having one white egg layer again(I have a lot of blue).

Well that is absolutely fascinating!! I would not have guessed it- but
she is a great forager, always out first, farthest etc.. like the leghorns were... and a consistent layer. So those are great traits! Thank you!.
If I want more like her, can I breed her to an EE? Is her colouring dominant? Does she still have the white egg gene to pass on, or is it now only blue egg gene? I wouldn't having one white egg layer again(I have a lot of blue).
Her color is recessive, and so is the white egg gene, but you can breed her to an EE if you want. I would recommend getting more white egg layers if you want white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom