genetic questions from a beginner

cluckykate114

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
Okay so I understand breeding a (blue) homozygous Roo to a speckled brown layer results in a speckled green egg. but what if you back breed the chick from the speckled green egg to the homozygous Roo again ? would it keep the speckles? lighten the color ?

TIA.

Okay so I understand breeding a (blue) homozygous Roo to a speckled brown layer results in a speckled green egg. but what if you back breed the chick from the speckled green egg to the homozygous Roo again ?
Half the chicks will be homozygous for the blue egg gene, the other half will be heterozygous for the blue egg gene.

Chicks will produce eggs with varying amounts of brown, and maybe speckles, depending on which genes they inherit. Since their mother would be a mix, she will pass different combinations of genes to different chicks.

would it keep the speckles? lighten the color ?
Maybe and maybe. I don't think there is a definite answer, because there are a bunch of different genes that control the amount of brown on the egg, and most brown-eggers have quite a few of them all working together.

Half the chicks will be homozygous for the blue egg gene, the other half will be heterozygous for the blue egg gene.

Chicks will produce eggs with varying amounts of brown, and maybe speckles, depending on which genes they inherit. Since their mother would be a mix, she will pass different combinations of genes to different chicks.

Maybe and maybe. I don't think there is a definite answer, because there are a bunch of different genes that control the amount of brown on the egg, and most brown-eggers have quite a few of them all working together.
thank you so much!! i couldn’t really find anything on it but i was super curious! i really appreciate you getting back to me ! 😊

Back
Top Bottom