Genetics - Artificial Insemination... How do you do it...

I have tried AI, and it does seem like I do get a good sample every time. But right before I inseminate the hen, I dillute the semen with water. Will regular water kill the sperm, rather than using "extender"if I inseminate immediately.

I have a question, are there any chicken breeders that ship semen? My dad was a hog farmer for 30 years and my uncle runs a company that does the same thing with pigs so I'm just wondering.

We have actually had this conversation in another thread about a year ago. What we talked about was using semen extender and drawing up the semen in "straws" like they do with large animals....just smaller straws. This would have to be shipped on dry ice and while it wouldn't necessarily be expensive, it is a cumbersome procedure. The good thing is that you could order a bunch of straws at a time and only have to inseminate the hens every 10 days or so.

It can certainly be done. Just off the top of my head I would estimate the cost for materials and shipping at about $15.00.

Quote:
Which really isn't that bad but the question is, is there a market for it? Now for rare breeds, yes I could see a market but with the shipping of eggs and/or chicks, do we really need it?

Does anyone see any biosecurity issues with AI? Getting it from other people's flocks and exposing it to yours vs. doing it within your own flock, I mean.

Last edited:
Quote:
Which really isn't that bad but the question is, is there a market for it? Now for rare breeds, yes I could see a market but with the shipping of eggs and/or chicks, do we really need it?

In general no but for the people that show birds there might be a market for shipping semen. If I could buy semen from a breeder that has a black oegb that was winning at the shows. And this breeder lived on the east coast and i live in oregon and semen was $45 a straw and pairs were $250 I would buy semen if i had the right hen. So I think there would be a small market for it.

Quote:

In general no but for the people that show birds there might be a market for shipping semen. If I could buy semen from a breeder that has a black oegb that was winning at the shows. And this breeder lived on the east coast and i live in oregon and semen was $45 a straw and pairs were $250 I would buy semen if i had the right hen. So I think there would be a small market for it.

See and I agree with you there. I would be willing to pay for it. I guess the next question is how many breeders would be willing to do it? I would do it. I've done it with horses in the past.

I agree with there being a small market for show birds. Next week I'll check out the price for all the materials, dry ice, etc and post what I find out. I would not be concerned with biosecurity but would only buy from someone who is NPIP since we are too...just like eggs.

Edited to add that I would be willing to send silkie semen as an experiment, but it would have to be to a someone who has a hen who is laying but hasn't been covered for about a month.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom