Genetics of White Earlobes?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I have a pullet that I *thought* was a Black Australorp (from 2 blues), but she's on the small side and has white earlobes. The butt check and her having moved onto the main roost suggests that she's laying but all the pullet eggs are medium-to-light brown so I can't tell which is hers.

I'd *thought* I'd identified all of the chicks from my California White's eggs -- one Birchen girl, one white boy, and one barred boy. But maybe I was wrong?

I haven't seen a clear answer about the genetics of white earlobes. Would they have to have come from the California White (my only white earlobed, white-laying bird)? Or are they a recessive that could have been hidden in the flock? I *presume* that the blue color of my Australorps originally came from Blue Andalusians, which have white earlobes.

Can anyone helps?

My little, white-earlobed girl:

0920221034.jpg
0920221045.jpg

I suppose that from her size alone -- she's the size of the California White, not the Australorps -- I guess that she must be an Australorp x CW instead of an Australorp. I'd thought I'd accounted for all the chicks from the white eggs but I guess I got them mixed up.

Back
Top Bottom