Georgia BYC'ers: Where do I send a deceased hen for testing?

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
Our beloved Frieda died last night, after having severe respiratory distress. Since we have another one with similar symptoms, we want to send Frieda's body to a lab to get tested, in order to determine the best course of action for the remainder of the flock. Where in West Georgia can we send her, and what is the correct procedure?

I second the county extension. I am guessing that there is going to be something affiliated with UGA - they have a Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center.

I have had some experience with their small animal hospital that wasn't particularly positive. But considering your patient is already deceased I cannot see how they could do any more harm.

There was a poultry lab here in Bowdon that I used but they closed it due to cuts in the government budget. I think the closest one now is in Dalton? I can't remember where the vet told me it was for certain, but I was told not to freeze the body, just to keep it well cooled so as not to kill any bacteria that could have caused the demise. I bagged and put my bird into the fridge overnite until I could get to the lab.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom