Gettin New Chicks

Essentialnative

Hatching
Feb 22, 2016
Im getting new chicks and want to have healthy babies, I've read to give ACV in water for immune support and garlic, and probiotics. Im.confused. To help with healthy immune system and for preventive of diseases that chicks are prone to What should I do or give them?

The best you can do is to keep your bedding bone dry (prevents coccidiosis), feeders at least half full of fresh starter feed (also prevents cocciciosis and boosts health by providing all the nutrients they need) and a probiotic powder in the water (preferred) or feed. I use a product called GRO2MAX formulated specifically for poultry. If you don't want to get that, add some plain yogurt or kefir to the feed.

ETA
Don't overlook maximum ventilation.
Good air, good food, fresh water and clean conditions will keep birds that start healthy, healthy.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!!

Thanks yall. Hey, I gotta nother question, I have Play Sand can I use that for grit? Its pretty much small rocks, I have extra bags from my daughters sand box.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- you already have some great advice from ChickenCanoe, so I'll just say a big hello!

All the best
CT

Thanks yall. Hey, I gotta nother question, I have Play Sand can I use that for grit? Its pretty much small rocks, I have extra bags from my daughters sand box.

I just did a quick search on play sand...apparently other members have used it for chick grit. You may need to crush it to make the pieces small enough for your chicks to consume.

The Search feature is a very handy tool for finding information. It's located in the upper left part of your screen, under the logo.

And before I forget...
welcome-byc.gif

You can use play sand in a pinch. However, grit is very inexpensive but they quickly outgrow the 3 sizes for chickens.

If I just had a few chicks and wasn't going to get more any time soon, I'd stick with the sand till about 3 weeks if large fowl, 5 weeks if bantams.
Chick grit is useless for older birds.
If they only have chick starter they don't absolutely need grit but it does help develop the gizzard.
I would just sprinkle some of the smallest particles of sand on top of the feed once or twice the first week. After that put a little in a separate container.
If you feed things other than starter, (which I don't recommend) they must have appropriately sized grit.

In the following link there is a list of grit sizes and the ages they are for.
http://www.tccmaterials.com/product.cfm?id=605

Back
Top Bottom