Getting Baby chicks when I have a Flock already?

chrisxweaver

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
I already have 3 chickens they are about 5 months and they are for eggs I want to get 2 more baby chickens and raise them for meat then in about 6-8 weeks then do the deed. My question is if i keep them separate like on the other side of the yard is that ok? Is there a possiblily of spreading desiese to my existing flock? And if they see eachother across the yard what will they do I have my existing flock behind chicken wire about 4 feet high and there flight wings are cut so is it safe to buy 2 more chicks and keep them separate?

Im not an old timer or a professional chicken person. =) I have 29 chickens, have had chickens for about 4 years total, 2 of those years I have raised meat chickens also. This is my third batch of meat chickens, they arrived today.

First, I would say disease can be spread easily from wild birds, probably more easily than if you keep your meat chickens too close to your layers.
That being said, I think it is always possible to spread disease form one flock to another, in the same area. We have never had that problem here though, and ours have been close together, with my layers free ranging around my pastured chickens (in a tractor coop)

Then, you're not asking, but I would suggest getting more than 2 chickens for meat. Just because they may do better weight wise with more competition for food, and depending on the breed they die easily. We buy cornish rock crosses for meat.
(If you are just going to buy an all purpose breed and butcher, you may still want more than 2 for competition purposes so they get bigger in that time, though they are hardier)

But I am guessing since you said butcher in 6-8 weeks you will be buying a meat bird breed, in which case get more than 2 for the reasons I said above.

Hope that is a little helpful. Maybe someone else has different or better advise though =)

Last edited:
Haha I actually am about to get 6 cornish crosses, and since your a little but of a chicken expert yourself can I take my laying chickens feed pellets and crush them and feed them to the cornish? And also can I feed them alot of grass to help with the cost? @Megs501

Last edited:
The difference between layer feed and meat maker feed is protein, you can feed it if you want. From my prior experience Cornish will eat feed way before grass, so I find it a waste of time to try and add grass.

Well, it depends on the protein % in your pellets...

I feed meat bird crumble as chicks, and then I have a custom mix I have made (soy free) locally, that I will put them on the last few weeks (it would work now, but is ground small enough). Let me see if I can find a good chart...

Here is the one I used to decide what I could feed them
http://animalsciencey.ucdavis.edu/avian/feedingchickens.pdf

You have to make sure your meat birds get the right percentage of protein or they wont do well, and you would be wasting time and money anyway. =/ know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom