Getting back into chickens!!!

HaloAmanda

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2016
Norwalk, Connecticut
Hello all! I just joined after reading a few hundred pages on here over the last few days =)
I owned many many chickens years ago with my mother who is no longer with us. She started out with 3 Rhode Island reds and eventually se had an acre if chicken pens and was the only producer of ornamental breeds in our area. She became a bit obsessed with buying and hatching fertile eggs from online. We had a nice set up witha few large enclosures of mixed variety and her favorite silkies. It's been awhile since I've owned chickens as I now rent in a city type area.
I have lived here for about 5 years arran was quite excited when my landlord started talking about getting chickens. Finally we came to the conclusion we are gonna do it. He said he will help with money if I do most of the work and decision making. (Great!) So I found us a great already made 8x8 coop near us, got a good deal and got it moved here and I'm making one changes and hopefully soon will be finished, build some fencing and start on my chicken adventure again. The coop will be 8x8x7 insulated, has electric hook up. (Will probally take out the heater but use electric for fans) I'm playing around with new nest box ideas but will most likely be between 6-10 nest boxes and we plan on having about 12 hens. I'll attach a photo of the outside of the coop. =)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! That looks like a good start to a hopefully very successful venture!

Beautiful coop. But, honestly you don't need that many nest boxes for 12 hens. Even if nest boxes are totally identical, hens prefer to use the box that another hen has used before her.
Sometimes they will even wait in line to use the same box. Of it they can't hold on long enough will barge in and lay an egg on the present occupant. 4 next boxes will do fine for them.

Hi and welcome aboard! Congrats in getting back into chickens - I'm sure you will become addicted once again.

Best wishes

CT

Beautiful coop. But, honestly you don't need that many nest boxes for 12 hens. Even if nest boxes are totally identical, hens prefer to use the box that another hen has used before her.
Sometimes they will even wait in line to use the same box. Of it they can't hold on long enough will barge in and lay an egg on the present occupant. 4 next boxes will do fine for them.

Yeah I know. I want to build newer nicer nest boxes than this had and since I'm going to make new ones I figured a minimum of 4 but might as well make extras incase I end up with more hens and I want to make an even amount to fit nicely in the space I choose. How many hens to 1 nest box, I think it was 3 or 4 correct? And how many hens can HAPPILY live in an 8x8 coop with appropriate roosts? It's8x8 and 7 high but will be slightly smaller by the time walls are insulated and closed in. I think I will be running roosts all along the left side inside so they will be 8 ft long and I'll put a few at different hights over a poop tray.

Hi and welcome aboard! Congrats in getting back into chickens - I'm sure you will become addicted once again.

Best wishes

CT

I've already been on this forum multiple times a day and staying up till 2am reading posts lol I'm not even finished with the floor or started the insulation but driving myself crazy trying to think of how to build and set up the run and where to get hens around here! Iam in fairfield county and need cheap as possible and do not want pollets from benedicts.

Looking for advice on run size and easiest cheapest way to build. It's located in a fairly level spit but not perfect, the ground all around is very solid dirt and grass. We are planning on 12 hens they will have to stay contained to the coop and run as it's not a location suitable for free range and we have lots of hawks.

I'm in fairfield county CT. So we get pretty good winters. Even though we are on a main road I'm sure there are predators but the coop is very secure so the only daytime threats are hawks and one of my dogs is a bird killer but very obedient. It will be covered on top and I'm not worried about my dog messing with it, she may run along it and spook them at firdt but will get used to them.

Back
Top Bottom