Getting back into the hobby need advice

Pics
So new interior redesign. Nesting boxes external and are 18"w×16"h×16"d, roosts and poop boards going across allowing for 2x 4' roosts. 7 sq ft of vents along back and two side vents. Both sides will have doors for daylight time warm weather ventilation. I as a fully grown adult can fit in it for cleaning.

For 6 hens.

That looks better. :)

Those access doors on both ends will make your life much easier.

Clean poop boards with a hoe type tool like 90% of the people I see with raised coops.
The design I posted about, it would be very hard to reach the board,
newest design looks better.

I am allowed 6 birds so they'd have more than 4 sq ft.,
Just barely, and in your climate you're going to need more unless your run will be fully weather proofed.

The design I posted about, it would be very hard to reach the board,
newest design looks better.

Just barely, and in your climate you're going to need more unless your run will be fully weather proofed.
Any suggestions on weather proofing the run. I was thinking of putting some plastic on the sides 4 ft up from ground and put some hay bales as a "fence" to minimize the snow in the area. Run will be covered as well.

Any suggestions on weather proofing the run. I was thinking of putting some plastic on the sides 4 ft up from ground and put some hay bales as a "fence" to minimize the snow in the area. Run will be covered as well.
Lot of people use cheap clear shower curtains tacked up.
Others, build frames with lexan they can add and remove before and after the season.

I'd go higher than 4', just leave about 8" at the top open for ventilation.
Hay/straw bales only take up space and make home for rodents.

Ventilation.... Build with ventilation in mind. You want 1sqf of permanent ventilation per bird.
Ventilation should be well above the birds heads while on roost to avoid drafts. Yes, even during the winter. Cover the ventilation with hardware cloth to deter predators.

Where in NY are you? I'm East of Albany in the Chatham area.
I live a little north of you in Watertown, this is our first winter with our flock. In our NY winters a 12”x12” area is okay with as cold as it gets here?

So this is the design my husband likes better. The roof would be metal to match surrounding buildings and there would also be a longer roof on top to make over hangs. We're still considering an 8ft long dog kennel in with wire mesh on the bottom for predator prevention and since it is easily seen by my neighbors we want to line the sides with above ground garden beds with trellises (about 2 feet from the run side).

This is a diy I found online that was pretty comprehensive. Here is the link: https://www.ana-white.com/woodworki...plGUnTeS8ZV39xmTKW1wFUmhAGrsqjYo86W9AjGdyouvo
If by using dog kennel panels you still need to put mesh so little critters like weasels can't get in.

Back
Top Bottom